Newcastle: Saudi-backed takeover nears completion after broadcast dispute settled

One of the main obstacles to the change of ownership was removed when it emerged Saudi Arabia had lifted its four-year ban on beIN Sport, the Qatari-owned broadcaster which owns Premier League TV rights

Tony Evans
Wednesday 06 October 2021 21:49 BST
<p>The £300m deal could be agreed by the end of the week </p>

The £300m deal could be agreed by the end of the week

Leer en Español

The takeover of Newcastle United by a consortium backed by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund has taken a significant step towards being completed, with sources believing the £300m buyout could be agreed by the end of the week.

One of the main obstacles to the change of ownership was removed when it emerged that the Arab kingdom has lifted its four-year ban on beIN Sports and is in the process of agreeing a settlement with the Qatari-based media company. BeIN, the Premier League’s broadcaster in the region, had their transmissions hijacked by Saudi-based pirates during a cold war between the two nations. The political situation began to thaw last year and relations in the region are in the process of being normalised.

The Amanda Staveley-led consortium is 80 per cent financed by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF). The other 20 per cent is split equally between Staveley’s company and the Reuben brothers. The group walked away from the transaction last year when the Premier League asked for clarification about who would have control of the club. The owner of Newcastle United, Mike Ashley, instituted arbitration proceedings that are scheduled to take place early next year.

The latest development has caused optimism that the takeover will take place far sooner. There is still resistance to Saudi involvement in Newcastle from a number of Premier League clubs and there is pressure on the ruling body from human rights organisations, but resolving the beIN Sports issue makes sustaining objections to the sale much more difficult.

Ashley, who is loathed by supporters, is as desperate to get out of St James’ Park as Staveley is eager to get in. Newcastle have just three points after seven Premier League games and are second from bottom in the table. Fans are staring at the prospect of a bleak winter embroiled in a relegation fight. They overwhelmingly want the manager, Steve Bruce, sacked and replaced by a manager capable of lifting the team out of the drop zone.

To dismiss the 60-year-old would cost the club in excess of £6m. It would require more investment to engage another manager and there is little possibility of Bruce leaving of his own accord. Even though he has been ground down by the job, he would be foolish to forgo the possibility of a payoff.

There are worries at other clubs that the Saudis would take the same approach as Manchester City’s Emirati owners and spend freely in an attempt to compete at the top of the league and in Europe, but those close to the consortium insist that this would not happen. They are keen to play down the expectations of fans and maintain that buying Newcastle would be an investment for PIF and not a Saudi vanity project. Emulating Abu Dhabi’s expenditure in Manchester is not part of their plans.

If and when the takeover does take place, the new owners will have a big job on their hands to turn things around. They will need to find a new manager and invest in the playing squad. The takeover may finally be nearing a resolution, but there are few illusions over how difficult the new owners’ task will be.

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies


Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in