Ryan Mason in 'stable condition' after suffering fractured skull in collision with Chelsea's Gary Cahill

England midfielder underwent surgery at St Mary's hospital in west London on Sunday night after sustaining a head injury at Stamford Bridge

Jack Pitt-Brooke
Monday 23 January 2017 00:07
Ryan Mason was hospitalised after a clash of heads with Gary Cahill
Ryan Mason was hospitalised after a clash of heads with Gary Cahill

Hull City confirmed late on Sunday night that their midfielder Ryan Mason has undergone surgery after fracturing his skull during Hull's 2-0 defeat on Sunday.

Mason was stretchered off in the first half after a clash of heads with Chelsea's Gary Cahill, which led to an eight-minute stoppage in play as he was given oxygen. Mason was taken straight to St Mary's Paddington hospital.

After undergoing surgery he is now said to be in a “stable condition” and he will be kept in hospital for the next few days.

"The club can confirm that Ryan Mason sustained a skull fracture in our fixture at Chelsea this afternoon," said a Hull City statement on Sunday night.

"Everyone at the club would like to express their sincere thanks for the excellent and swift care given to Ryan by both the Accident and Emergency department and Neurosurgery Unit at St Mary's Hospital."

Hull City manager Marco Silva said after the game that he expected Mason to stay in hospital after the collision with Cahill. “I imagine in this moment that he will stay in hospital,” Silva said. “I hope nothing special, nothing serious, but we'll see. I don't know if he is awake. He doctor told me he was in the hospital and we await news.”

Chelsea head coach Antonio Conte said: "Everyone at Chelsea wants to wish for him the best."

Mason joined Hull in August last year after being frustrated by a lack of first-team football at Tottenham, where he came through the ranks while also spending time out on loan at Yeovil, Doncaster, Millwall, Lorient and Swindon.

Capped a number of times at youth level by England, Mason's only senior appearance to date came in a friendly against Italy in March 2015, where he set up Andros Townsend's late equaliser in a 1-1 draw.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies


Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in