Eden Hazard says he has made decision over Chelsea future: 'I know what I'm going to do'

The Belgian winger is one of Real Madrid's top targets heading into their big summer rebuild

Kishan Vaghela
Tuesday 05 February 2019 12:42
comments
Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel gives Theresa May football shirt for player called Hazard

Chelsea winger Eden Hazard says he has already made up his mind about his immediate future.

The Belgian winger has been heavily linked with a move to Real Madrid in the last two transfer windows, with reports that Chelsea have set their price for the 28-year-old at between £100m and 120m.

Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri said last week that Hazard is free to leave at the end of the season if he so wishes, and the former Lille man is set to reveal in an interview to be aired on Wednesday night that he has already come to a decision.

“I know what I am going to do. I have made my decision,” Hazard told French radio station RMC.

Chelsea announced in December that they were ready “immediately” to agree a new contract with Hazard, whose current deal with Chelsea expires in June 2020, but were waiting for him to make a decision, and it now seems that he has decided on his next step.

The Belgian was said to be torn over the prospect of sealing a dream move to Real Madrid or agreeing an extension at Stamford Bridge.

Independent Sport revealed last month that Madrid had begun the process to overhaul their squad also by making initial contact with Tottenham Hostpur’s Christian Eriksen.

Madrid want the Dane and Hazard, but the Champions League holders see the Spurs man as a more gettable target. Both have contracts that expire after next season, meaning the leverage is very much on the side of the players in any negotiations with their respective owners.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments