Southampton refuse to give up on Victor Wanyama despite failure to agree terms with Celtic player

A fee of £12m has been agreed

Simon Peach
Friday 05 July 2013 12:25
Comments
Arsenal have been watching Celtic’s Victor Wanyama for some time
Arsenal have been watching Celtic’s Victor Wanyama for some time

Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino has not given up on bringing Celtic's Victor Wanyama to St Mary's.

The 22-year-old Kenyan's stock has risen markedly in his two years at Parkhead, leading to talk of a move south of the border.

Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton and Cardiff have all been linked with the Celtic midfielder, but it is Southampton that were given permission to speak to him after a reported £12million bid was accepted.

However, Wanyama has so far failed to agree terms with Saints, leading to suggestions of issues with his representatives.

Pochettino has not yet given up on the deal, though, and is also targeting big-money moves for Internacional's Leandro Damiao and Valencia midfielder Ever Banega.

"It could happen," the Argentinian said of Wanyama. "We have certain positions that we want to reinforce. I'm confident that our goals will be met.

"We manage a lot of information about very good players. One of them is Damiao, also Banega and also Wanyama.

"We are managing the situation as well as we can at the moment.

"The main thing is that we as a club, Southampton, are managing when these negotiations happen so that is what is happening.

"We are managing when these players are going to be signed and how we sign them.

"Our goals are very clear. I am also not trapped by the fact that I said I wanted to have our transfer window closed by July 1.

"We are not interested in 15 or 20 players. We are interested in maybe two or three key players.

"At the same time, I also want to say our squad at the moment is really good and it is not like we are trapped in the sense that we need these players to be a better squad.

"Our squad as it is really good already, but we just want to bring in two or three players that reinforce key areas in the squad to become an even better team."

Pochettino also confirmed that a number of squad players will be leaving the club this summer.

Billy Sharp and Richard Chaplow were amongst those told they had no future at St Mary's, leading them to post tongue-in-cheek messages to each other on Twitter.

"Rchap04 u fancy a game of golf,seen as you have time on your hands," Sharp messaged his team-mate.

Chaplow responded: "billysharp10 can play anytime, morning, day or night 7 days a week? Pick your time, nothing else todo £bored".

Dean Hammond, Tadanari Lee, Lee Barnard and Steve de Ridder were also told they could leave, while several other squad players look set to be on their way out.

PA

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in