FA close to discovering whether it will pay for Wembley disorder

UEFA opened disciplinary proceedings in August.

Jamie Gardner
Monday 18 October 2021 04:30
The FA is expected to learn whether it faces sanctions from UEFA over the disorder at the Euro 2020 final within the next 48 hours (Zac Goodwin/PA)
The FA is expected to learn whether it faces sanctions from UEFA over the disorder at the Euro 2020 final within the next 48 hours (Zac Goodwin/PA)

A decision on whether to issue a supporter ban over the Euro 2020 final disorder at Wembley is set to be announced within the next 48 hours.

The showpiece game between England and Italy on July 11 was marred by chaotic and ugly scenes before, during and afterwards, with tournament organisers UEFA opening disciplinary proceedings against the Football Association on August 3.

The FA requested a personal hearing in the case, which is scheduled for today via videoconference. It is understood an announcement on any sanctions is expected within 24 hours of that hearing concluding.

England manager Gareth Southgate has previously stated his fear that his team may be forced to play one or more matches at Wembley behind closed doors.

England manager Gareth Southgate has expressed concern over a supporter ban at Wembley (Rafal Oleksiewicz/PA)

Any ban would only apply to UEFA competition matches. For England, that would mean the 2022-23 Nations League which is due to start next June, rather than the World Cup qualifier against Albania next month.

The Metropolitan Police said 19 of its officers were injured in the chaos surrounding the final, and one of the most concerning aspects from a security perspective was ticketless supporters forcing entry to Wembley.

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin says the Euro 2020 final disorder will not harm a UK and Ireland bid to host the 2030 World Cup (John Walton/PA)

Disability access charity Level Playing Field said some of these individuals made their way into disabled viewing areas, creating a “frightening experience” for disabled supporters with legitimate tickets.

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin has played down fears that the disorder would affect a UK and Ireland bid to host the 2030 World Cup, and that he saw Wembley as a key venue for UEFA in hosting club competition finals in the future.

The FA commissioned an independent review of the circumstances surrounding the match, which is being led by Baroness Casey of Blackstock.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged in