Australian rugby league players sacked for taking two schoolgirls back to team hotel on pre-season tour

Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera have been sacked by the Canterbury Bulldogs after an NRL investigation led to their registrations being cancelled

Ian Ransom
Wednesday 01 April 2020 08:53
Comments
Jayden Okunbor has been sacked by the Canterbury Bulldogs
Jayden Okunbor has been sacked by the Canterbury Bulldogs

Australia’s National Rugby League (NRL) has expelled two Canterbury players from the competition for a “serious” code of conduct breach after the pair took two schoolgirls back to their hotel rooms during a pre-season tour.

Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera were investigated by the NRL’s integrity unit following the club’s tour of the mid-north coast of the eastern state of New South Wales where they visited 12 schools and held a junior clinic.

“The behaviour of both players was inexcusable and a very serious breach of the code of conduct,” NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said in a statement on Wednesday.

“The game will not tolerate such conduct and as such both players have had their registrations cancelled.

“This decision should send a very clear message to all players of our stance on such behaviour.”

Sydney-based Canterbury, which said the players had brought “young females of a consensual age” to their team hotel, fully supported the NRL’s hard line.

The age of consent in New South Wales is 16.

“There can be no tolerance for any abuse of the privileged status the game affords its leading players,” the club said.

“The consequences of this matter have been serious and far-reaching and protecting the welfare of the young women involved has been a priority for us since we were first alerted to this issue.

“They have, unfortunately, been the victims of some distasteful social media attacks which are not called for and need to stop.

“We have been in regular contact with them, their families and their school and we will continue to offer ongoing support moving forward.”

Corey Harawira-Naera was also deregistered by the NRL and Canterbury

The scandal cost the side a multi-million dollar sponsorship deal with a family restaurant group, media reported last month.

The NRL, the world’s richest rugby league competition, has long been plagued by unsavoury off-field incidents involving players.

Shortly before last year’s season-opener, the league implemented a new policy to stand down players facing serious indictable offences in the wake of allegations of sexual assault and domestic battery.

This year’s competition was shut down after the second round of the season and remains suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Reuters

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in