Sam Burgess 'happy for truth to come out' over sexting allegations

Reports in Australia over the weekend claimed one of Burgess' social media accounts had been used to send inappropriate images to a woman following a match in May

Tuesday 18 September 2018 10:57
Comments
Sam Burgess said he hopes an NRL investigation will be finalised within the next 48 hours
Sam Burgess said he hopes an NRL investigation will be finalised within the next 48 hours

England forward Sam Burgess insists he wants the truth to come out over sexting allegations surrounding his NRL club South Sydney Rabbitohs .

The 29-year-old prop has spoken to the Australian media following allegations of a lewd video chat involving Rabbitohs players.

Reports in Australia over the weekend claimed one of Burgess' social media accounts had been used to send inappropriate images to a woman following a match in May.

Speaking on Tuesday, Burgess said he could not go into any details publicly but hopes an NRL investigation will be finalised within the next 48 hours.

"There's an inquiry going on with the NRL and I'm happy for the truth to come out," Burgess told a press conference.

Sam Burgess in action for the Rabbitohs over the weekend

"I'm completely happy to go through the process, be as open and honest with everything and I'll follow that process and hopefully it will be resolved sooner rather than later.

"Whilst that process is taking place I can't talk about it publicly.

"I'm glad that I'm stood here today, I'm glad I have the chance to address it and speak to you guys (media) so you understand where I'm at.

"I'm not running away and hiding from what's out there."

The Rabbitohs face Sydney Roosters in the NRL preliminary final at Allianz Stadium on Saturday for a place in the Grand Final.

Burgess added: "It's a tricky time but it is what it is. We're all stood here, talking about something when really we should be focusing on the game that's coming up in a few days."

Burgess speaks to the press

The former Bradford player and dual-code international, whose wife is heavily pregnant with their second child, added: "What hurts me the most is seeing my wife upset about what's out there.

"I've got a wife who loves me, I've got a great family, I've got great friends, great support around me that have obviously helped through these allegations that have been made.

"You do feel it but I've had certain experiences in my life before, had serious emotions I've had to deal with, and football has always been great for me."

South Sydney coach Anthony Seibold previously threatened to walk out of a press conference and refused to answer questions about the matter.

"We take the accusations seriously, as do the integrity unit. At the moment, they're accusations," Seibold said.

Burgess, who played for England in the 2015 Rugby Union World Cup during a brief switch of codes with Bath, recently signed a four-year extension to his contract which will keep him with the Sydney club until the end of 2023.

PA

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in