Leigh Centurions ‘Super League ready’ after winning unanimous backing to replace Toronto Wolfpack

John Duffy confident Leigh are ready to step up to the top division after fending off competition among five other clubs to be awarded a place in the 2021 Super League campaign

Mark Staniforth
Monday 14 December 2020 14:26
Comments
Leigh Centurions will join Super League from 2021
Leigh Centurions will join Super League from 2021

Leigh Centurions head coach John Duffy is adamant his club are "Super League ready" after winning the fight to replace Toronto Wolfpack in next year's top-flight.

Leigh beat off competition from Toulouse Olympique, London Broncos, Bradford Bulls, Featherstone Rovers and York City Knights to fill the 12th slot left vacant following the rejection of Toronto's bid to re-join the competition last month.

Duffy told the PA news agency: "I've just stopped crying - I'm so happy for everyone who has put so much work into the criteria document.

"We are Super League ready - we've got a stadium which is hosting World Cup games, a chairman who is putting in the money, and we've been there and done it.

"I think it's exciting more than daunting. We are straight in with getting up to speed, and our goal is to give it a good go and make sure we stay in Super League."

READ MORE: Toronto Wolfpack fail in bid to win back Super League spot

Leigh were the unanimous choice of an independent seven-person panel led by Lord Caine, which met four times and had eight hours of discussions before the verdict was announced.

Lord Caine said: "Each of the six applicants was judged strictly but fairly against the agreed criteria. All were of high quality and I would like to pay tribute to the clubs for that."

Leigh have not played in Super League since they were relegated in 2017, but had won all four of their games in this year's curtailed Championship campaign.

Toulouse, the Championship leaders when the coronavirus pandemic forced the season's abandonment in March, had been bidding to join Catalans Dragons as a French club in the top flight.

Toulouse said in a brief statement: "We are obviously disappointed but we are already focused on the next Championship season, with the same goal."

London, who were relegated last year on points difference, and who had been linked with a possible ground-share at AFC Wimbledon if selected, tweeted: "Our plans don't change, we will push on for promotion via the Championship."

PA

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in