Rugby Union: Paterson bows out after turbulent week


Paul Trow
Sunday 23 October 2011 06:34

DUNCAN PATERSON chose the aftermath of yesterday's 85-11 World Cup qualifying victory over Portugal at Murrayfield to confirm that he will resign as chairman of Scotland's executive board on Friday.

Paterson said he would step down "at an appropriate time" after an emergency meeting of the Scottish Rugby Union's general committee last week. But the subsequent resignations of two other former internationals, John Jeffrey and Andy Irvine, have persuaded him not to hang on. His departure will be welcomed by fans unhappy with his controversial and costly restructuring of the district and club game in Scotland.

Chris Wyatt, one of the heroes of Wales's international revival, ran in an injury-time try to secure maximum points for the Welsh Premier Division leaders Llanelli in their 48-12 victory at Aberavon yesterday.

Needing eight tries to claim their full quota of bonus points, the Scarlets passed up a conversion attempt to their seventh touchdown and were rewarded when Wyatt picked up the ball and raced over from 40 yards.

The European Cup quarter-finalists' other tries came from Roddy Boobyer, Wayne Proctor, Jason Hyatt, Jason Barrell, Iwan Jones, David Hodges and Garan Evans. Aberavon, who gave the former Great Britain rugby league captain Garry Schofield his Premier Division debut, replied through Cerith Rees and a penalty try.

Pontypridd kept up the pressure on Llanelli by beating Neath 44-7 at Sardis Road. Tries from Dale McIntosh, Matthew Lloyd (2), Kevin Morgan (2) and Gareth Wyatt were supplemented by 14 points from the boot of Neil Jenkins. Mike Morgan claimed Neath's lone try just before the end. Ebbw Vale gained some respite from their cash crisis with a hard-fought 24- 19 home win against Caerphilly. Vale scored three tries courtesy of Siua Taumalolo, Leighton Olsen and a penalty try while Jonathan Hooper provided the visitors' lone touchdown.

Owain Thomas scored his first hat-trick for Bridgend in their 30-24 home success over Newport. Adrian Durston also went over while Newport's try scorers were Matthew Watkins, Dale Burn and Shaun Connor.

Northampton officials will study a video of the incident in which their lock Jon Phillips was sent off for elbowing the referee, Trevor Fisher, during Friday's Cheltenham & Gloucester Cup game with Moseley. Ian McGee- chan, the Saints' director of rugby, said: "It's one of those stupid things. I think you'll find that nothing actually happened and he won't even get a suspension."

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments