Novak Djokovic accuses critics of ‘witch-hunt’ and says there is ‘an agenda’ against him after Adria Tour backlash

World No 1 contracted coronavirus at his own event after ignoring social distancing, but believes the criticism he has received points to something more than just the mistakes he made in the last month

Jack de Menezes
Sports News Correspondent
Thursday 09 July 2020 11:44
Comments
Novak Djokovic tests positive for Covid-19

Novak Djokovic believes he is the victim of a “witch-hunt” over his disastrous Adria Tour and believes the criticism he has received in recent weeks is part of “an agenda” against the world No 1 tennis player.

The Serbian drew harsh criticism for organising the Adria Tour that contained no social distancing protocols despite the coronavirus pandemic, resulting in four players testing positive for Covid-19 and potentially hundreds more being infected due to full stadia.

The Tour was subsequently cancelled after its first two events, and Serbia has since reinforced lockdown measures following a spike in positive coronavirus cases, with Belgrade strengthening restrictions this week in an effort to prevent a second-wave epidemic.

Djokovic apologised for his role in organising the event after he and his wife Jelena both tested positive for Covid-19, but in his first interview since emerging from self-isolation, the world No 1 has hit back at his critics.

“Lately I only see criticism, very malicious,” Djokovic told Serbain newspaper Sportski Zurnal. “Obviously, there is something more than that criticism, as if there is an agenda, as if it were a witch-hunt.

“Someone has to fall, some person, some big name to be the main culprit for everything. I leave it to others to say if that is fair, I don't think it is, I think that we must learn from all of this and to adapt as we go along.”

The 33-year-old was strongly criticised by fellow player Nick Kyrgios among others, but returned to practice on Tuesday to prepare for the return of professional tennis events on the ATP Tour in the coming months.

But he did cast doubt on his participation at the US Open which gets underway next month, and suggested that he will instead focus on his plans to play at the French Open rather than commit to the first Grand Slam since the sport’s suspension.

“I'm not sure I'll play in the US Open,” added Djokovic. “I plan to play Madrid, Rome and Roland Garros in September.”

It means that the US Open could go ahead without the top three players in the world, with Roger Federer already ruled out of the rest of the year and Rafael Nadal casting doubt on his own participation due to the quarantine regulations that are in place and the the scale of the coronavirus outbreak in the US.

Djokovic has returned to practice since recovering from coronavirus

Djokovic did, however, give his support to the US Tennis Association (USTA) for attempting to stage the Grand Slam at Flushing Meadows.

“I fully support the USTA (US Tennis Association) wish to hold tournaments in Washington, Cincinnati and the US Open, because it is very important for the survival of many tennis professionals,” he added.

“Like everyone, we are going through economic difficulties. Personally, I don't have that kind of pressure that the others feel and of course I understand them because vast majority need to play now and earn money. I salute to the efforts being made to hold tournaments, especially in the USA and in Europe, despite this big crisis, but there is a limit to everything."

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

By clicking ‘Create my account’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in