The Independent’s journalism is supported by our readers. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn commission.

10 hot survival tips for student life in the UK

Better read this before you pack your bags...

Emma Bartley
Thursday 16 August 2007 00:00

1. Check if you need to register

Some foreign nationals are required to register with the police within seven days of landing in the UK (it should be clear from your passport stamp if you do). You'll need your passport, two passport pictures, and £34 in cash.

2. Buy a coat

It's often said that the only predictable thing about British weather is its unpredictability. Most international societies recommend bringing a coat, sturdy shoes and warm clothing to the UK (although these will be reasonably cheap to buy when you arrive.) Another way to combat the chill is to burn any shorts or sunglasses you've brought and warm your hands over the resulting fire...

3. Open a bank account

It's useful to have a UK bank account to enable you to pay bills and rent quickly and easily. Sadly, banks tend only to lavish free gifts and large overdraft facilities on those with UK passports. However, you can get a basic bank account which will not give you credit but will enable you to get money from cash machines and make payments. Compare what the different banks offer at

4. Join the international society

Your university and student union will help if you're experiencing difficulties with your course or life in the UK. Your best resource, though, is your international society, which will have specific experience and understanding of your needs. Most run orienteering courses and social events, which are a great way to meet people. Find them via your institution's website or student union.

5. Learn more English

If you're reading this, you either have a decent grasp of English already or are great at using those translation websites. However, the academic English you'll be required to use in assignments is quite advanced. Institutions offer a range of courses, from free lunchtime tutorials to residential pre-sessional courses that cost £200-£300 a week. Look at options on your instiution's website and

6. Stay healthy

If you get a snivel, you've probably been gripped by a favourite in Britain: the common cold. Get rest, fluids and vitamins. If symptoms get worse, consult your local doctor (see for the nearest); all treatment on the National Health Service is free if you're studying in the UK for six months or more. Information and advice is also available at

7. Stay in touch

If you're thinking of getting a mobile phone or landline with broadband, check out the different rates on offer at Post offices are open from 9am-5.30pm Monday to Friday, 9am-12.30pm on Saturdays. Airmail costs 48p/54p for Europe/the rest of the world (larger packages must be weighed and measured). Skype has revolutionised international communication, offering free internet calls where you can speak to and wave at friends and family; download it at Did you get all that?

8. Don't be a victim

Generally, the UK is a safe and welcoming place for international students. Students can be a target for thieves though, so keep doors and windows locked if you go out; when you do, try to stay in groups and don't leave valuables on display.

You can call the emergency services on 999 free from any phone; for non-emergencies contact your nearest police station (see Insurance is a good idea; Endsleigh,, specialise in student policies.

9. Get a job

Working part-time is a great way to earn cash and meet people. If you're from a country within the European Economic Area (EEA), you don't need permission to work in the UK. If you're from outside the EEA but on a full-time course of study, you can work up to 20 hours a week in term time and full-time during holidays. (Unless your visa or passport stamp states otherwise). Visit

10. Move around

Public transport in the UK is generally cheap and well-organised; student cards often get you a discount on buses. If you're in London, an Oyster card is essential (see Black taxis can be hailed in the street; minicabs should be phoned to make sure they're legitimate. For travel around the UK, you can get a third of coach and train tickets with a student pass - see and

For general information and support visit:

The Department for Education and Skills

The British Council

The Council for International Education

International Student Travel Confederation

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies


Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in