Catherine Zeta-Jones addresses sexual harassment allegations against husband Michael Douglas

'It happened 30 years ago. It was BC – before Catherine'

Jack Shepherd
Monday 22 January 2018 14:34 GMT
Comments
(Getty)

Support truly
independent journalism

Our mission is to deliver unbiased, fact-based reporting that holds power to account and exposes the truth.

Whether $5 or $50, every contribution counts.

Support us to deliver journalism without an agenda.

Louise Thomas

Louise Thomas

Editor

Catherine Zeta-Jones has spoken publicly about sexual harassment allegations against husband and iconic actor Michael Douglas.

Asked whether she supported Douglas’s move to preemptively deny allegations against himself, Zeta-Jones said on The View: “He had to come out preemptively because of what he believes in.”

“I support this movement – Time’s Up, MeToo – 110 per cent, always have,” she continued. “Michael came out with that preemptive statement. He was articulate, said it from the heart. It was honest, open and transparent.

“He now has to take the next step for where he goes from here. It’s a question for him, because. It happened 30 years ago. It was BC – before Catherine.”

Zeta-Jones was then asked about working on the Harvey Weinstein-produced movie Chicago, saying she had not personally experienced any harassment.

Douglas has been publicly accused of sexual misconduct by former employee, Susan Braudy, who was in charge of the New York headquarters of his production company.

Braudy claims the indiscretions started with uncomfortable sexual discussions with Douglas, leading to one alleged incident where the actor appeared to unzip his pants and start “rubbing his private parts”. She says she ran away from Douglas, but was later allegedly asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Douglas denied the claims before the story was reported, calling the allegations “a complete lie”.

“Coarse language or overheard private conversations with my friends that may have troubled her are a far cry from harassment,” Douglas stated. “Suggesting so does a true disservice to those who have actually endured sexual harassment and intimidation.”

He added, “Maybe she is disgruntled her career didn’t go the way she hoped and she is holding this grudge.”

Various Hollywood figures – most infamously Harvey Weinstein – have over the past few months been accused of numerous sexual assault allegations. Women and men in Hollywood have banded together to stand against those perpetrating such behaviour under the #MeToo and Time’s Up banners. The Time’s Up legal defence fund was set up by women in the entertainment industry to provide support to victims of sexual harassment at work and has raised more than $16m (£12m) so far.

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in