Aziz Ansari announces first stand-up tour since sexual misconduct allegations

The Master of None star will hit the road in February

Wednesday 28 November 2018 08:18
comments
Trailer: Master of None- Season Two

Aziz Ansari has announced his return to the spotlight after facing accusations of sexual misconduct earlier this year.

The Master of None star and co-creator announced a brand new stand-up tour on social media, writing: “New tour dates for 2019. On sale this week. Click here for cities. See ya on the road ding dongs."

His tour, named Road to Nowhere, will only grace cities in the US and Canada. It’ll start in Boston on 6 February 2019 and will features stop-offs in San Francisco, Atlanta and Vancouver, before concluding three months later in New York.

In January, Ansari was accused of misconduct in an article posted on the website Babe which saw a Brooklyn photographer recount her experience of a date with Ansari which. She alleges it almost became “sexual assault” back in his apartment.

The comedian responded to the article expressing his “surprise and concern” to be told the woman had felt violated via text the next day.

“I took her words to heart and responded privately after taking the time to process what she had said,” he wrote in a statement. “I continue to support the movement that is happening in our culture. It is necessary and long overdue.”

Many notable figures – including Whoopi Goldberg – went on to criticise the accuser, as well as its article, for seemingly denting the proactive results achieved by the TimesUp movement.

Louis CK, who admitted to sexual harassment and misconduct last year, recently faced criticism for performing impromptu sets at the Comedy Cellar in New York.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments