Sacha Baron Cohen reacts to Mark Zuckerberg banning Trump from Facebook ‘indefinitely’

Borat star has long been a critic of Zuckerberg

Jacob Stolworthy
Saturday 09 January 2021 10:19 GMT
Comments
Trump admits election challenge over, but tells supporters ‘journey is only just beginning’
Leer en Español

Support truly
independent journalism

Our mission is to deliver unbiased, fact-based reporting that holds power to account and exposes the truth.

Whether $5 or $50, every contribution counts.

Support us to deliver journalism without an agenda.

Louise Thomas

Louise Thomas

Editor

Sacha Baron Cohen has responded to Facebook “finally” banning Donald Trump.

The Borat star has long been pushing for chief executive Mark Zuckerberg to prevent Trump from posting messages, and it was revealed on Thursday (7 January) that measures had been taken against the outgoing president following the riots in Washington DC.

Zuckerberg said that the president had used the platforms to “incite violent insurrection against a democratically elected government".

He added that Trump will be removed from the site “indefinitely and for at least the next two weeks until the peaceful transition of power is complete”, while giving no fixed time frame. Instagram also announced it would be doing the same.

“FINALLY – Facebook suspends Trump indefinitely’!” Baron Cohen wrote on Twitter.

“The dam is breaking. Every social media company, every online platform, every advertiser has a choice: Stand with Trump and the domestic terrorists who attacked the Capitol. Or stand for democracy.”

On Friday (8 January), Twitter followed suit, with an overjoyed Baron Cohen deeming it “the most important moment in the history of social media”.

Many celebrities have been calling on Twitter to suspend Trump since his supporters stormed the Capitol in an attempt to stop Joe Biden’s presidency from being certified.

Now, people are calling for Trump’s cameo in 1992 sequel Home Alone: Lost in New York to be digitally removed.

Meanwhile, George Clooney said that the incident, which left five people dead, has put Trump and his family “into the dustbin of history”.

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in