Harvey Weinstein’s lawyers recently issued a 26-page motion to dismiss a lawsuit against him, the accusers making various sexual assault and harassment allegations against the disgraced mogul.
Weinstein named two Oscar winners in the defence, Jennifer Lawrence and Meryl Streep, the latter of whom has already published a statement calling him “pathetic and exploitative”.
Lawrence has now issued a separate statement, saying Weinstein took her previous words out of context, telling TMZ: “Harvey Weinstein and his company are continuing to do what they have always done which is to take things out of context and use them for their own benefit. This is what predators do, and it must stop.”
“For the record, while I was not victimised personally by Harvey Weinstein, I stand behind the women who have survived his terrible abuse and I applaud them in using all means necessary to bring him to justice whether through criminal or civil actions. Time’s up.”
Weinstein filed the motion on Tuesday, attempting to dismiss a case put forward late last year by six women: Louisette Geiss, Katherine Kendall, Zoe Brock, Sarah Ann Masse, Melissa Sagemiller and Nannette Klatt.
The lawyers claim the “proposed class definitions” of sexual assault and harassment “are fatally overbroad as to be not ascertainable.” They claim: “As drafted, they would include all women who ever met with Weinstein, regardless of whether they claimed to have suffered any identifiable harm as a result of that meeting.”
The lawyers then name Streep and Lawrence: “Such women would include, presumably, Jennifer Lawrence, who told Oprah Winfrey she had known Weinstein since she was 20 years old and said ‘he had only ever been nice to me,’ and Meryl Streep, who stated publicly that Weinstein had always been respectful to her in their working relationship.”
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies