Dolores O'Riordan: Details of The Cranberries singer's final days have been revealed

She was in good spirits

Ilana Kaplan
New York
Tuesday 23 January 2018 22:38
Hundreds turn up to mourn Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan at funeral

Details of Dolores O'Riordan's final days have been revealed, indicating that The Cranberries frontwoman was seemingly doing well and discussing new projects.

According to Rolling Stone, on January 12, O'Riordan had a phone conversation with bandmate Noel Hogan about what would have been their first record in six years and an upcoming tour in March.

"She was great," he explained. "We spoke about getting back to work."

By January 14, the Limerick-born vocalist even sent two songs to be considered for their forthcoming album.

On January 15, after midnight - the day of her death - O'Riordan called label executive Dan Waite and left him two voicemails, even saying she wanted to get dinner with he and his wife.

"She was in a good space," says Waite of the messages. "I've seen a few things saying she was depressed but she was definitely making plans for the week."

The late singer's voice mails were described as upbeat, expressing her adoration for her kids, and her love of the Eminem sample used on "In Your Head."

Her producer Youth even said she sang part of the Verve's "Bitter Sweet Symphony" in one of the messages.

O'Riordan travelled to London just one day before her passing to discuss D.A.R.K.'s sophomore record, which was almost done.

Waite had arranged a collaboration with the band Bad Wolves for O'Riordan while she was there - the British group was making an alternative version of "Zombie" and needed her vocals for the track.

Unfortunately before she could move forward with any of her plans; the 46-year-old singer died on January 15 in her London hotel room.

O'Riordan released seven studio albums with The Cranberries and two solo albums.

Her gritty yodelling first helped her land on the public's radar.

While O'Riordan's death has been ruled unsuspicious, her autopsy and toxicology report remains confidential.

The coroner has put the investigation into her cause of death on hold until April 3 "as they await the results of further tests."

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments