Michael Moore slams Donald Trump for attacking his broadway show on twitter

The Terms of My Surrender had finished its limited run in New York

Jack Shepherd
Sunday 29 October 2017 09:53
Comments
The documentary-maker, who has enjoyed a renaissance since Mr Trump declared his presidential bid, argued Republicans should not be able to hold on to power 'by default'
The documentary-maker, who has enjoyed a renaissance since Mr Trump declared his presidential bid, argued Republicans should not be able to hold on to power 'by default'

Donald Trump has often delighted in other people's poor ratings, prominently targeting Arnold Schwarzenegger’s over his version of The Apprentice earlier this year.

Now, the President has taken the time to attack Michael Moore’s Broadway show, calling the performance “a TOTAL BOMB and was forced to close. Sad!”

Trump added a small disclaimer, saying the comment was “not at all presidential” yet still making the statement on Twitter.

Moore's one-man show, titled The Terms of My Surrender, ran for 100 shows, having been intended to be limited. According to Deadline, the show took $367,600, averaging at $58.80 and fulfilling 47.2% of the house’s potential.

The controversial filmmaker used the stage to discuss the current state of politics, making satirical jokes and featuring guests, including Bryan Cranston, Stephen Colbert and Mark Ruffalo.

Outraged by Trump’s Tweet, Moore used the social media platform to hit back: “You must have my smash hit of a Broadway show confused with your presidency — which IS a total bomb and WILL indeed close early. NOT SAD.”

Moore pointed out how, on the day of the Tweet, one US service member was killed and six others injured in Afghanistan. “You, our President, are not even aware of this.” he said. “You ARE aware I'm a "B'way star" & I guess this bothers you more. SAD.” Read the full string of Tweets below.

Previously talking about the Broadway show, Moore said: “My 100 performances on Broadway represent perhaps the most fulfilling experience of my career.

“Having the opportunity to play the Belasco for tens of thousands of New Yorkers (and people from around the country and the world), with a simple and urgent message, has been one of the great honours of my life. And I am deeply moved to be so warmly embraced by the Broadway community.”

The performer added that, come next summer, and The Terms of My Surrender would be going on the road, adding: “There is no surrender!”

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in