Paul Hollywood signs deal to judge The Great British Bake Off on Channel 4

Mary, Mel, and Sue have all announced they won't be returning to the show

Jack Shepherd
Thursday 22 September 2016 10:39
Comments
Paul Hollywood stays as a judge on GBBO

Paul Hollywood has signed a deal with Channel 4 to host The Great British Bake Off, a spokesperson has confirmed.

The news comes just moments after Mary Berry announced her departure from the Love Productions show.

The duo hosted the show since its inception in 2010 alongside Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins, both of whom have also departed the show.

Hollywood released a statement thanking Channel 4, along with Mel and Sue, but - surprisingly - not Berry.

The statement reads: “Since I was a kid, baking has been part of my life. The seven series inside the tent have created some great memories. Best of all, I have felt so pleased to experience other people getting the baking bug, just as I did when my dad helped me make my first loaf.”

“I am delighted that I will be continuing as a judge when Bake Off moves to Channel 4. I want to thank the BBC and Mel and Sue for making my time in the tent great fun and really rewarding.

According to Mail Online, Hollywood was spotted rushing from a blacked-out car into the Channel 4 offices yesterday. The report detailed how a 'secret meeting' between the two parties was taking place to discuss Bake Off.

Previous reports claimed he was unlikely to remain with Bake Off, mainly because Hollywood was said to be in talks with the BBC about his own car show. Hollywood and Berry are said to have been offered large sums of money to stay on.

The BBC has since confirmed to The Independent that Hollywood will be staying with the show as a judge for at least three seasons of the show.

Access unlimited streaming of movies and TV shows with Amazon Prime Video Sign up now for a 30-day free trial

Sign up

As of yet, there is no indication as to what programmes are in the BBC’s mixing bowl, although various reports have suggested that Simon Cowell has already pitched a new baking show to the broadcaster.

Love Productions announced that the Bake Off was to move to Channel 4 last week after the BBC lost its rights to the most-watched programme of 2015.

Numerous meetings were not enough to save the BBC's partnership with the production company, which cited concerns over the broadcaster’s valuation of the show, as well as the development of the brand.

Meanwhile, the director of content at the BBC, Charlotte Moore, has spoken about Berry’s departure in a statement, hinting at further shows with the Bake Off star in the future.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in