Hackney fox cull postponed after social media outcry

The council had announced they would cull the foxes living in one of their parks to protect nearby deer

Caroline Mortimer
Friday 09 October 2015 13:17
Comments
Foxes are due to be killed in Clissold Park but experts warn that it will not fix the problem
Foxes are due to be killed in Clissold Park but experts warn that it will not fix the problem

Hackney Council has backed down from a planned cull of wild foxes in one of its parks after a national outcry.

Late on Thursday evening, the local authority announced on Twitter it would remove the traps from around a deer enclosure in Clissold Park after widespread criticism from social media and animal rights groups.

In a statement a council spokesman insisted that previous non-lethal attempts to protect the deer, including building a fence around the enclosure, had failed.

He said: "We have been advised by our independent deer expert that, living so closely together, they pose a hazard to the health of the deer.

"The foxes raid litterbins and carry rubbish into the deer enclosure which the deer, who are attracted to rubbish that smells of food, are at risk of eating and could lead to ill-health and even death.

"There are roughly four or five adult foxes currently living in a deer enclosure of seven deer. This far exceeds the ratio in any other London park – it is the equivalent of having many hundreds of foxes living in Richmond Park."

The spokesman did not confirm whether the cull had been cancelled or simply postponed when asked by The Independent.

Peta spokeswoman Sascha Camilli called the proposed cull a "political move" and said: "It's an ignorant and arrogant slaughter of wildlife and flies in the face of both common sense and the facts.

"The methods used are cruel, and as long as an area is appealing and accessible, more foxes from surrounding areas will simply move in to take the place of those who were killed, thereby creating a perpetual killing cycle that does nothing whatsoever to provide a long-term solution."

A Change.org petition calling on the council to reconsider was launched within hours of the news being broken and has gathered over 4,000 signatures to date.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged in