Alex Rodriguez and Jennifer Lopez deny breakup reports
Alex Rodriguez and Jennifer Lopez deny breakup reports

Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez refute breakup claims: ‘We are working through some things’

Couple has been together since 2017

Chelsea Ritschel
New York
Saturday 13 March 2021 17:15
comments
Leer en Español

Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez have refuted claims that they have broken up less than 24 hours after it was reported the pair had ended their two-year engagement.

On Friday, it was reported by multiple outlets that the couple, who got engaged in March 2019 after two years of dating, had decided to end their relationship, with a source telling CNN that the pair had separated “a few weeks ago”.

However, the singer and former baseball star have since denied the split, telling CNN in a joint statement on Saturday through a representative: “We are working through some things,” with the outlet confirming that the pair are still engaged.

In a separate statement to TMZ, the couple added that “all the reports” of a breakup are “inaccurate”.

“They never officially broke up and talked about it but are still together. They hit a rough patch. But were not broken up,” a source told People. “She’s working in the Dominican Republic and he’s in Miami so it’s tough seeing each other especially with quarantining and Covid, but they want to try to stay together.”

Read more: Jennifer Lopez says quarantine has made her a better parent

The couple first began dating in 2017, before getting engaged in the Bahamas in 2019. Over the past year, the couple has been quarantining together with Lopez’s 13-year-old twins Maximilian David and Emme Maribel with Marc Anthony and Rodriguez’s daughters Ella, 12, and Natasha, 16, with ex-wife Cynthia Scurtis.

They have since postponed their wedding twice due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, with the Hustlers star revealing that she was “a little heartbroken” after the first time.

In January of this year, Lopez revealed that they had had to push back their nuptials again, telling Elle that they haven’t talked about plans for their wedding since cancelling it for the second time as there’s “no rush”.

“We cancelled it, and since then we haven’t really talked about it. There’s no rush. We want to do it right when we can do it,” she said at the time.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments