William and Harry walk in funeral procession leaving Windsor Castle

Prince William reportedly requested standing apart from Harry in Prince Philip funeral procession

The brothers sat on opposite sides of the chapel due to Covid, but their procession separation was reportedly requested by Duke of Cambridge

Ellie Abraham@ellieabraham
Sunday 18 April 2021 15:48
comments
Leer en Español

Prince William requested that another member of the royal family walk between him and Prince Harry in the funeral procession behind the Duke of Edinburgh, it was reported on Sunday.

Prince Philip’s coffin was transported by a personally-designed Land Rover hearse from Windsor Castle to St George’s Chapel.

Following on foot were members of Prince Philip’s close family, while the Queen travelled behind by car accompanied by lady-in-waiting Lady Susan Hussey who is in her royal household bubble.

The Duke of Edinburgh’s four children led the procession in age order, with Prince Charles and Princess Anne at the front, and Prince Andrew and Prince Edward behind them.

Next were his grandchildren William and Harry, who were separated by Anne’s son and their cousin Peter Phillips.

This separation was choreographed at the request of William amid the acrimonious feud between the brothers, according to a report in the Mail on Sunday.

Buckingham Palace has not commented on any of the rumours or speculation about the procession arrangements, but it is understood the Queen approved every last detail of Saturday’s meticulously-planned ceremony.

Inside the chapel, Harry and William sat on opposite sides of the room.

The pair were seen speaking as they left the church following the service, but reportedly several members of the family failed to acknowledge Harry.

It was the first time William and Harry have been seen together in public in more than a year.

Rumours of a strained relationship with his family only intensified after Harry and his wife Meghan Markle appeared in a controversial interview with US television host Oprah Winfrey.

In the interview, Harry claimed he had been financially cut off from the family and that an unnamed member of the family had expressed concerns about how dark the colour of their future child’s skin might be.

At the time, Buckingham Palace said the other royals were “saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan.”

A statement said: “The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately.”

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments