Uber appeals Brighton and Hove decision not to renew its licence

Council said decision to not renew was based on 'significant concerns about the company’s data breach' among other issues

Ben Chapman
Friday 18 May 2018 17:38
Comments
Allegations of sexual harassment and gender discrimination surfaced before the appointment of current chief executive Dara Khosrowshahi
Allegations of sexual harassment and gender discrimination surfaced before the appointment of current chief executive Dara Khosrowshahi

Uber has submitted an appeal of Brighton and Hove council's decision not to renew its taxi operating licence.

The taxi company said earlier this month that it intended to appeal the decision.

The council said its decision was based on "significant concerns about the company’s data breach" as well as the company’s lack of commitment to using only Brighton and Hove licensed drivers was another factor in the decision.

Chair of the licensing panel, Councillor Jackie O’Quinn, said: “Our priority is the safety of residents and visitors and, due to the data breach and the lack of commitment to using drivers licensed here, we were not satisfied that Uber are a fit and proper person to hold an operator’s licence in the city.”

Ms O’Quinn added: “All Brighton & Hove private hire and hackney carriage drivers in the city operate under the same licences and guidelines contained in the Blue Book and undergo the same background checks, whichever company they drive for. In the original application in 2015, Uber gave a firm commitment to adhere to the standards set out in the Blue Book and only to use Brighton & Hove licensed drivers.

“We do not feel the spirit of this commitment has been kept to. In the panel’s view, large numbers of taxis operating in the city that do not meet our Blue Book standards puts the safety of residents and visitors at potential risk.”

An Uber spokesperson said: “This is a disappointing decision for the thousands of passengers and drivers who rely on our app in Brighton and Hove. We intend to appeal so we can continue serving the city.”

The ride-hailing company was rocked by a massive data breach in 2016, which affected 2.7 million UK users of its app.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in