Bobbi-Anne McLeod: Body found near Plymouth confirmed as 18-year-old

Teenager went missing on 20 November as she headed out to meet up with friends

Thomas Kingsley
Tuesday 30 November 2021 21:43
Hundreds gather for Bobbi-Anne McLeod vigil in Plymouth

A body found on a beach near Plymouth has been confirmed as Bobbi-Anne McLeod, 18, who went missing on her way to meet friends, Devon and Cornwall police confirmed on Tuesday.

The teenager went missing on 20 November, and had been waiting to catch a bus into town after leaving home.

Devon and Cornwall Police said in a statement: “Formal identification has now been completed and it has been confirmed that the body located in Bovisand on 23 November is that of 18-year-old Bobbi-Anne McLeod.

“Her family have been informed of this update and have asked for their privacy to be respected at this time.”

Police added in a statement shared on Twitter: “Whilst of course we understand the public interest in these updates, we remind the public that this is a live and active case and we ask members of the public to not speculate on social media.”

Cody Ackland, 24, has been charged with her murder and is currently remanded in custody. He is next due to appear in court on Monday 24 January.

Devon and Cornwall police said that there is no link between the suspect and victim at this time and are not seeking anyone else in relation to the matter.

Hundreds attended a vigil held for the teenager last week in Plymouth as mourners gathered around scores of flowers left in tribute to the 18-year-old on a grass verge opposite the bus stop where she went missing.

Speaking at her daugter’s vigil, Donna McLeod said: “Thank you for doing everything to try and find her and bring our baby home.

“I would like to thank everyone for coming, on behalf of the family. It’s nice everyone is coming together in the circumstances. Unfortunately, our beautiful Bobbi-Anne has been taken from us, but she will never be forgotten.

“I’d like everyone to hold their candles up. This is for Bobbi-Anne.”

Mr Ackland appeared at Plymouth Magistrates’ Court on Friday and spoke only to confirm his name, address and date of birth during the short hearing.

The defendant is the lead guitarist in Plymouth-based indie band Rakuda, who released their first EP in August this year.

The remaining Rakuda band members announced on Friday they would be disbanding “with immediate effect”.

In a post on the band’s Facebook page, they wrote: “The remaining members of Rakuda ... are all extremely shocked and in complete disbelief by the tragic event that has unfolded over the last several days.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with Bobbi-Anne McLeod’s family and friends who must be devastated at their loss.

“As a mark of respect, we have decided that we shall not be going forward as a band and will be disbanding with immediate effect. We will not be making any further comments at this time.”

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in