Huw Edwards: Read wife of BBC star’s statement in full after days of speculation

Mr Edwards is ‘receiving in-patient hospital care where he will stay for the foreseeable future’, his wife confirmed

Eleanor Noyce
Wednesday 12 July 2023 20:05 BST
Comments

Jon Sopel says BBC presenter behind explicit image scandal ‘extremely angry’ over coverage

After days of public speculation, the wife of newsreader Huw Edwards has named him as the BBC presenter facing allegations over payments for sexually explicit images.

In a statement issued on his behalf, Vicky Flind stated that Mr Edwards is “receiving in-patient hospital care where he will stay for the foreseeable future” after “suffering from serious mental health issues”, requesting that the family receive privacy.

One of the most recognisable faces on British television, Mr Edwards is known for presenting the BBC’s News At Ten, a programme he has fronted for 20 years.

“In light of the recent reporting regarding the ‘BBC Presenter’ I am making this statement on behalf of my husband Huw Edwards, after what have been five extremely difficult days for our family”, Ms Flind’s statement read.

“I am doing this primarily out of concern for his mental well-being and to protect our children.

“Huw is suffering from serious mental health issues. As is well documented, he has been treated for severe depression in recent years.

“The events of the last few days have greatly worsened matters, he has suffered another serious episode and is now receiving in-patient hospital care where he’ll stay for the foreseeable future.

“Once well enough to do so, he intends to respond to the stories that have been published.

“To be clear Huw was first told that there were allegations being made against him last Thursday.

“In the circumstances and given Huw’s condition I would like to ask that the privacy of my family and everyone else caught up in these upsetting events is respected.

“I know that Huw is deeply sorry that so many colleagues have been impacted by the recent media speculation. We hope this statement will bring that to an end.”

Ms Flind’s statement comes as the Metropolitan Police determined no criminal offence had been committed.

"We have seen the statement from the police confirming they have completed their assessment and are not taking further action. We’re grateful to them for completing this work at speed”, a BBC spokesperson said.

"The police had previously asked us to pause our fact finding investigations and we will now move forward with that work, ensuring due process and a thorough assessment of the facts, whilst continuing to be mindful of our duty of care to all involved."

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in