Marcus Rashford and Burberry partner to provide help for UK youth clubs

Manchester United footballer announces initiative with open letter to 10-year-old self

Tom Embury-Dennis@tomemburyd
Monday 02 November 2020 16:07
comments
Minister rejects Rashford meals plea because 'children have been going hungry for years'

Marcus Rashford and Burberry have announced a partnership that will see the fashion house providing financial support to child-focused charities and youth clubs. 

The initiatives to help disadvantaged young people come on the back of the Manchester United and England footballer’s widely praised attempts to pressure the UK government into providing free school meals during holidays. 

Burberry will provide grants to two youth centres Rashford attended as a child — Norbrook Youth Club and Woodhouse Park Lifestyle Centre — as well as support for after-school charity International Youth Foundation, which helps young people across the world.

In London, assistance will go to 15 youth clubs that Burberry claims will help tens of thousands of youngsters to access meals and help with their school work. 

As part of the campaign’s promotion, Rashford tweeted a letter to his 10-year-old self, in which he promised “better days to come”.

“Take pride in knowing that your struggle will play the biggest role in your purpose. Never drop you head in shame,” the letter reads. 

"There have been many days that you have felt alone and, in this game we call football, there will be a few more to come. But your family and your community will never allow anyone to dim your light because that light is still needed to survive the darkest days.

“The noise your stomach has been making, will one day be replaced with the noise of crowds chanting your name. Buckle up little man, it’s going to be quite the ride.”

Pam Batty, vice-president of corporate responsibility at Burberry, said the company wanted to “[give] back to the incredible youth centres and charities making a life-changing difference”.

Burberry earlier this year donated more than 100,000 pieces of PPE to the NHS after transforming a trench coat factory in Yorkshire to make the protective equipment for frontline workers during the coronavirus pandemic. 

But it has also proposed cutting 500 jobs due to a decrease in “luxury demand” amid the global crisis. 

Burberry chief executive Marco Gobbetti, who pocketed £3.9 million in pay last year, said in July the cuts were required after retail sales plunged by 48 per cent in the three months to the end of June, including a 75 per cent fall in Europe and the Middle East. 

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments