A former producer on ITV’s This Morning who was left brain damaged after a severe nut allergy has appeared on the programme she used to work on.
Amy May Shead, 29, suffered a cardiac arrest while eating on holiday in Budapest in 2014.
Her family are now trying to raise awareness of the dangers of nut allergies.
Ms Shead had alerted a restaurant she and friends were eating in of her severe nut allergy with a translated note.
Despite being assured all her food was free of nuts, she ate just one mouthful of a chicken dish and suffered a severe anaphylactic shock.
Two EpiPen injections were unable to halt the reaction.
Ms Shead was starved of oxygen for six minutes, before being revived by medics.
Doctors gave her a small chance of surviving.
Her mother, Sue Shead, said: “They sat us down to prepare us before we saw her in the hospital, and she was on life support.
“They didn’t think she’d survive the week.”
Amy was left wheelchair bound and unable to communicate with others.
The show’s presenters, Eamonn Holmes and Ruth Langsford, are now campaigning for nuts to be banned on flights.
It follows the severe allergic reaction of a young boy on a Singapore Airlines flight last month.
Marcus Daley became ill after other passengers on the flight opened packets of nuts nearby but survived.
The carrier said it had suspended sales of food with nuts but was unable to control passengers eating their own food on board.
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies