Oxford Circus incident: Police still searching for attackers or evidence of gunshots as station re-opens

The Tube station where the incident was reported has now re-opened

Andrew Griffin
Friday 24 November 2017 18:51
comments
Oxford Circus Incident: What happened?

Police at Oxford Circus are still searching for evidence of any attack, attackers or gunshots, after mass panic at the Tube station in central London.

The only person known to have been injured in the attack appeared to have been caught up as people fleed the station amid reports of an attack. The stations where the rumoured incident had happened is now open again.

Police had said earlier that they were responding to reports of gunshots having been fired and that they were treating the event as "terror-related".

But it issued a new statement reporting that it had found no evidence of an attack, or anything behind reports of gunshots.

"To date police have not located any trace of any suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties," it said. "Officers continue to work with colleagues from British Transport Police in the area of Oxford Circus."

It also wrote on Twitter retracting a previous warning to take shelter amid reports of the attack.

"Our response on Oxford Street has now been stood down," it wrote on Twitter. "If you sought shelter in a building please now leave, and follow the direction of police officers on the ground if you need assistance."

Transport for London also confirmed that both of the affected stations – Oxford Circus as well as nearby Bond Street – were now open again.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments