Paul Gascoigne has described his “year of hell” as he awaited his sexual assault trial.
The former England footballer was accused of forcefully kissing a stranger while he was drunk on a York to Durham train in August 2018.
But the 52-year-old was cleared of sexual assault and of the lesser, alternative count of assault by beating last year, after a four-day trial at Teesside Crown Court.
“All I was doing was sticking up for the girl,” Gascoigne told the Sunday Mirror. “I gave the girl a peck. I didn’t mean anything sexual, I just heard what was said to her and wanted to help. If it was anyone else this would never have gone to court.
“This is the hardest thing I’ve ever been through. It’s been a year of hell.”
Gascoigne said that he worked hard to stay sober throughout the process, adding: “In the last six months I’ve not touched a drop.”
When he was cleared, the former England star said he was “looking forward to getting on with my life”.
Outside court, he smiled and stood beside his solicitor Imogen Cox as she read a statement on his behalf, saying: “To have a sexual allegation for over 12 months has been tough. I am so glad I was finally able to put over my side of the story and that the jury came to the correct verdict.”
Michelle Heeley QC, defending, had argued that when Gascoigne kissed the stranger there was no sexual intent.
She said he kissed a woman who was not expecting it and did not like it, but that did not make him a sex offender.
The kiss lasted two or three seconds, on a packed train, and was not preceded by any “lecherous comment”, touching or groping, she added.
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies