Prince Philip car crash: eBay bidding for debris from collision involving Duke of Edinburgh reaches £65,000

Wreckage 'may even have Phil's DNA on it, if you wanted to clone him or anything,' listing says

Toyin Owoseje
Monday 21 January 2019 13:13
Comments
Cars removed from scene after Prince Philip is involved in road traffic accident close to Sandringham Estate

Debris said to be from the crash involving Prince Philip is being auctioned for tens of thousands of pounds on eBay.

The Duke of Edinburgh was pulled from his wrecked Land Rover Freelander last week after it flipped on its side from the impact of the crash in Sandringham, Norfolk.

A seller on eBay, morbius777, has now listed what purports to be broken bits of the prince's vehicle on the auction site.

The listing, titled "Prince Philip Car Crash Parts", claims the items were recovered from the site of the accident, after which the 97-year-old walked away unscathed.

The seller insisted the items “are not stolen”, but were cleaned up after they were left on the roadside.

“It amazes me that they weren’t cleaned up on the day. So, as opportunists do, I tidied them up," the eBay user said.

The vendor joked some of the items recovered from the scene may even have the Duke’s DNA, giving the highest bidder the opportunity to “clone him”.

Bids for the “Prince Philip crash debris” have rocketed to £65,900 

”There’s no financial gain in this for me, all proceeds going to charity," they added. "It’s a bit of fun, and Cancer Research gets to benefit."

The highest of the 119 bids is currently £65,900.

A woman, her nine-month-old baby and a female passenger were travelling in a Kia when the prince crashed into it, police have confirmed.

The two women required hospital treatment for a broken wrist and a cut knee. The baby was unharmed.

Hours after the collision, the prince was seen back behind the wheel in a new Land Rover.

Support free-thinking journalism and attend Independent events

Images published on Saturday appeared to show the royal wearing no seatbelt whilst driving on the Queen’s Sandringham estate.

A Norfolk Constabulary spokeswoman said the force was aware of the photographs and that “suitable words of advice have been given to the driver".

“This is in line with our standard response when being made aware of such images showing this type of offence,” she added.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in