Prince Philip to avoid having to meet Donald Trump during state visit after retiring from public life

Royal commentator tells The Independent announcement gives the Duke 'dignified option' to step back from any arrangement he would rather not attend

Lucy Pasha-Robinson
Thursday 04 May 2017 12:23
Comments
Prince Philip to stand down from public engagements this year

Prince Philip will retire from public life in the autumn, thus removing any obligation to perform official royal duties as the Duke of Edinburgh, Buckingham Palace has revealed.

The announcement has led many to speculate whether the Duke will attend US President Donald Trump’s upcoming state visit, likely to be held at the end of the year.

Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams told The Independent the decision gives the Duke the “dignified option” to step back from any arrangement he would rather not attend.

“He will be retiring from public life - so that means he won't have anything he has to go to. He will choose depending on whether the Queen might feel the need to have him by her side when she has to deal with Donald Trump for example,” he said.

“If he doesn't feel it would be appropriate for his health or how he is feeling he has the option, and the dignified option, to step back.”

A number of past tensions between the Republican leader and certain members of the royal family could place strain on any upcoming state visit. Prince Harry is reportedly “not a fan” of the President, and Mr Trump has previously tweeted about Kate Middleton sunbathing topless.

Whether the Duke decides to attend the US visit remains to be seen, but Mr Fitzwilliams believes the Duke will remain a prominent figure in public life.

“I think we’ll see a lot of him, in the rare occasions in the past when he’s been ill, he’s been a most impatient patient and a live wire all his life,” he said.

“He is a tremendously active person, the sense of this announcement is to preserve dignity but he will remain part of this precious institution.

“Expect him at the palace balcony, expect him to be at appropriate state occasions when he feels as though he should appear.”

The announcement came after royal staff from across the country were called to an emergency meeting at Buckingham Palace on Thursday, sparking rumours that either the Queen or her husband were in poor health.

The full statement explaining his decision read: "Prince Philip will attend previously scheduled engagements between now and August, both individually and accompanying The Queen.

"Thereafter, The Duke will not be accepting new invitations for visits and engagements, although he may still choose to attend certain public events from time to time.

"The Duke of Edinburgh is Patron, President or a member of over 780 organisations, with which he will continue to be associated, although he will no longer play an active role by attending engagements.

"Her Majesty will continue to carry out a full programme of official engagements with the support of members of the Royal Family."

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

By clicking ‘Create my account’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in