Richard Okorogheye: What do we know so far about missing teenager?

Teenager’s mother pleads for public help with investigation into his disappearance

Samuel Osborne@SamuelOsborne93
Wednesday 31 March 2021 12:32
comments
Richard Okorogheye, 19, is believed to have left his family home in west London on the evening of 22 March
Richard Okorogheye, 19, is believed to have left his family home in west London on the evening of 22 March

Detectives have released new images in the search for Richard Okorogheye.

It comes as the teenager’s mother has pleaded for the public’s help with the investigation into his disappearance.

Here is a timeline of key events in the search for the 19-year-old student.

22 March

Mr Okorogheye is believed to have left his home in the Ladbroke Grove area of west London.

His mother, Evidence Joel, previously said the Oxford Brookes University student, who has sickle cell disease, had talked of “struggling to cope” with university pressures and had been shielding during the Covid-19 lockdown.

Read more:

The Met said he left his home and headed in the direction of Ladbroke Grove at approximately 8.30pm.

CCTV footage showed Mr Okorogheye wearing an all-black outfit and carrying a black satchel-bag featuring a white Adidas logo

The last confirmed sighting of the teenager was when he was seen boarding the 23 southbound bus in Ladbroke Grove at 8.44pm.

24 March

Mr Okorogheye is reported missing.

28 March

Metropolitan Police issue an appeal, saying “officers are becoming increasingly concerned” for Mr Okorogheye’s welfare.

Chief Inspector Clare McCarthy said: “Our officers have been working tirelessly to locate Richard, using all investigative opportunities and data enquires, speaking with witnesses and trawling CCTV.

“We are following every lead possible and are appealing for the public to help us in our work. If you may have seen Richard, please contact police.

“If Richard is safe and well, we ask him to contact us as a matter of urgency so that we can put his family’s minds at ease.”

29 March

Mr Okorogheye’s mother, Ms Joel, gives an interview in which she says: “Richard has never done anything like this. Something has gone wrong.”

She tells the MyLondon website her son would only leave the house to go to hospital for regular blood transfusions for his condition.

Ms Joel recalled him saying he was going to visit a friend, although none of them have seen him, telling her to drive safe and that he would "see me later", she told the website.

She returned home from a nursing shift at around 9pm and assumed he was in his room.

She cooked him a meal but found he was not there when she knocked on his door and he did not answer his telephone.

The alarm was raised after a locksmith helped her gain entry to the room which was empty but Mr Okorogheye’s wallet, bus pass and bank card were left behind.

30 March

The Met Police release new images of Mr Okorogheye.

CCTV showed the student wearing an all-black outfit and carrying a black satchel-bag featuring a white Adidas logo.

Mr Okorogheye left his home and headed in the direction of Ladbroke Grove on March 22 at approximately 8.30pm

Police said it was unknown at which stop Mr Okorogheye got off the bus, adding that he was known to frequent London's Westminster and Hammersmith and Fulham areas.

The force also issue a statement on her behalf, saying: "Richard we love you and miss you very much, please can you come home? We aren't angry at you. We just want to know that you're okay.

"For anyone reading this, we are desperately missing our son. If you know anything or know where he might be, please come forward and speak to the police."

If you have any information, please call police on 101 quoting 21MIS008134. In an emergency please call 999.

Information may also be given to the charity Missing People.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments