Coronavirus: Person dies of virus in California becoming first US death outside Washington state

It is likely that the deceased was exposed to the virus on a cruise from San Francisco to Mexico

Oliver O'Connell
New York
Wednesday 04 March 2020 21:14
Comments
'I miss it' Trump says he hasn't touched his face in weeks during coronavirus update

California has seen its first death from coronavirus, officials have said, bringing the number of deaths in the United States from the virus to 11. This is the first US fatality outside Washington state.

The latest victim was elderly and had underlying health issues, Placer County Public Health said. Those that have been in close contact with the patient have been quarantined and will be closely monitored including 10 Kaiser Permanente healthcare workers and five emergency responders.

It is likely that the deceased was exposed to the virus on a Princess cruise to Mexico that departed San Francisco on 11 February, returning on 21 February. The company has issued an advisory to passengers from that cruise, as well as passengers currently on the ship.

The patient was admitted to hospital less than a week after the cruise and had "minimal community exposure" according to county officials.

More passengers on the ship may have been exposed to the virus — another was reported in Sonoma County last week.

Placer County, northeast of Sacremento, Sonoma County and the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention are working to identify others that may have been exposed.

Dr Aimee Sisson, Placer County Health Officer, said that while more cases were expected, the death market an unfortuante milestone in the efforts to fight the disease.

“While most cases of COVID-19 exhibit mild or moderate symptoms, this tragic death underscores the urgent need for us to take extra steps to protect residents who are particularly vulnerable to developing more serious illness, including elderly persons and those with underlying health conditions,” she added.

In a statement, Governor of California Gavin Newsom said: “The state is working with federal officials to follow up on contact tracing of individuals that may have been exposed to provide treatment and protect public health.”

“This case demonstrates the need for continued local, state and federal partnership to identify and slow the spread of this virus. California is working around the clock to keep our communities safe, healthy and informed.”

Earlier in the day, Los Angeles declared a state of emergency after six new cases were confirmed in 24 hours.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in