Three bodies found in home of alleged kidnapper after he is pulled over for a broken taillight

'All hands are on deck' at local police department after discovery, district attorney says

Emily Shugerman
New York
Friday 01 June 2018 20:29 BST
Third body found at home of alleged kidnapper Stewart Weldon in Springfield, Massachusetts

Authorities have found three bodies in the home of a Massachusetts man accused of kidnapping a woman and resisting arrest.

Springfield police pulled over 40-year-old Stewart Weldon for a broken tail light on Sunday, according to a police report. A distraught woman inside the car begged police to save her, telling officers “he’s going to kill me," the report said.

Police arrested Mr Weldon on charges of kidnapping, threat to commit a crime, and carrying a dangerous weapon, among others – all before investigators found three more bodies in the home where he reportedly lived. Mr Weldon has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Hampden District Attorney Anthony Gulluni said Mr Weldon had not been charged in connection with the bodies. The investigation was ongoing and could take “days, if not longer,” Mr Gulluni told reporters.

"All hands are on deck from the Springfield Police Department," Mr Gulluni said, according to the Associated Press.

The state's Department of Children and Families was also investigating, after taking emergency custody of a child in Mr Weldon's home.

Mr Weldon attempted to flee when he was pulled over on Sunday, police said, setting off a police chase that reportedly ended with him crashing into a police cruiser and fighting with officers who tried to arrest him.

The woman inside the car told police that Mr Weldon held her against her will for a month, while sexually assaulting and beating her.

"Thank you for saving my life," she told the officers, according to the police report. "I never thought I would get away."

She was taken to the hospital for a fractured jaw, stab wounds to her stomach, injuries from a blunt object, and a "festering infection" on her leg, according to Mass Live. She remained in the hospital on Friday in stable condition.

Mr Weldon was held on a $1m bail pending his next court appearance. He was previously charged in Massachusetts with assault and battery, breaking and entering, and robbery, according to the Associated Press.

In one instance, he was accused of assaulting a woman on the street and biting the leg of an officer who tried to arrest him. He pleaded not guilty and was released on a $1,000 cash bail.

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies


Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in