Man suffers fractured neck, third degree burns and has hole blown through the roof of his mouth after e-cigarette explodes

James Lauria suffered burns to his face, chest and fingers

James Lauria had to be flown to a specialist burns unit in Alabama due to the severity of his injuries
James Lauria had to be flown to a specialist burns unit in Alabama due to the severity of his injuries

A 23-year-old man suffered a fractured neck and finger, burns to his hand and eyes and had a hole blown through his palate after an e-cigarette blew up in his face.

James Lauria, 23, of Cobb County in Georgia, US, told FoxNews5 it had been “a normal day” on 29 July when he had stepped away from his work for a few minutes to smoke his e-cigarette.

“The next thing I know, it exploded and I was on my way to a hospital in an ambulance, and that is the last thing I remember,” Lauria told the broadcaster.

Lauria’s father Ed said his son suffered first degree burns to his face and chest, while the explosion also forced a tooth up into his gum and “out of sight”.

Lauria was airlifted to the University of Alabama burns unit due to the severity of his injuries and is now recuperating at his parent’s house, though he is still on a liquid diet and now speaks with a lisp.

Lauria said he was keen to talk about the incident was keen to talk about the incident to warn others about the apparent dangers of e-cigarettes. The South Fulton Fire and Rescue Department are currently investigating the incident.

This summer a series of “highly disturbing” fires caused by exploding e-cigarette chargers led to a nationwide safety alert in the UK, with more than 100 fires thought to have been caused by the devices in the last two years.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

By clicking ‘Create my account’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in