Man convicted of shooting dead two Muslim men outside mosque, but killings not classed as hate crime

Prosecutors say motive was unclear, as assailant faces life in prison without possibility of parole

Saturday 24 March 2018 12:59
Oscar Morel was found guilty following a nearly three-week-long trial
Oscar Morel was found guilty following a nearly three-week-long trial

A New York City man was convicted on Friday of first-degree murder for the broad daylight killings of a Muslim cleric and his assistant.

A state supreme court jury convicted Oscar Morel, 37, of the fatal shootings of Imam Maulana Akonjee and Thara Uddin, his friend and assistant. The men were shot as they walked home following prayers on 13 August 2016.

Richard A Brown, district attorney of the borough of Queens, called the killings “a senseless act of gun violence in the middle of the afternoon and carried out in a close-knit neighbourhood filled with families and children”.

Mr Brown said in a statement that he hopes the verdict “will bring some closure to the family and many friends of the two men killed”.

Morel, of Brooklyn, was convicted following a nearly three-week-long trial. Jurors deliberated for about a day and found Morel guilty of one count of first-degree murder, two counts of second-degree murder and one count of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon.

He faces life in prison without the possibility of parole when he is sentenced on 18 April.

Some in New York City’s Muslim community called the attack on the two Bangladeshi immigrants a hate crime, but prosecutors said the killer’s motive was unclear.

Afaf Nasher, the executive director of the New York chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, released a statement on behalf of the victims’ families expressing gratitude for the conviction.

“Maulana and Thara came to this country in search of a better life, instead they found Morel’s hatred,” the statement said. “Nothing can ever replace what Morel took from us, but this verdict helps show that this city will never accept this sort of heartbreaking violence.”

Prosecutors said Morel approached 55-year-old Mr Akonjee and 64-year-old Mr Uddin from behind as they left the Al-Furqan Jame Masjid mosque and shot them both in the head. The victims were rushed to a hospital, where they died.

Morel was arrested the following day after police connected him to a hit-and-run crash near the shooting scene.

Prosecutors said the police ballistics lab linked a .38-caliber revolver recovered from Morel’s basement to the shootings.

Morel denied involvement in the killings.

The New York Post reported that defence lawyer Michael Schwed told jurors during the trial that police had planted the murder weapon in Morel’s home. Justice Gregory Lasak instructed jurors to disregard Mr Schwed’s remark.

Mr Schwed said he would appeal the verdict.


Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in