Trump fighting court order over release of all documents related to sexual assault allegations

Mr Trump's lawyers have until the end of the month to respond

Clark Mindock
New York
Sunday 15 October 2017 22:04
Comments
The President has denied allegations of sexual assault
The President has denied allegations of sexual assault

A woman who says Donald Trump groped her is attempting to get all documents from the President’s 2016 campaign that mention sexual assault.

Summer Zervos, who publicly accused Mr Trump of forcibly kissing and grabbing her while she was a contestant on The Apprentice, is suing the President and attempting to subpoena any documents mentioning the sexual assault allegations. Subpoenas are legal directives from courts that force compliance with requests.

Ms Zervos came forward with her story about Mr Trump last year just weeks before the election, and following the publication of the infamous Access Hollywood tape. Mr Trump appears to brag about sexually assaulting women in the tape, while speaking about the perks of fame. The Trump campaign denied Ms Zervos’ claims, and pushed back saying the allegations were untrue.

Ms Zervos then sued the President’s campaign for defamation, and her lawyers served the Trump campaign a subpoena, asking that they not delete any documents that pertain to Ms Zervos or the many other women who came forward with sexual assault allegations against Mr Trump, Buzzfeed reports.

The subpoena wasn’t added to court files until last month, when Ms Zervos’ lawyers — a group that includes Gloria Allred — filed the document following a dispute that the subpoena was too broad.

Mr Trump has denied sexually assaulting women last year, and issued a statement denying that anything happened to the women who accused him of assault. His lawyers have sought to have the lawsuit dismissed.

His lawyers will be required to respond to the subpoena before the end of the month.

“We are hopeful that the court will deny President Trump’s motion to dismiss, so that we may move forward with discovery and obtain relevant documents and testimony.” Ms Allred said in a statement.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in