White House confirms Donald Trump 'will not visit UK until 2018'

US president will not fly to London this year and it 'still hasn't been determined' whether he will make a state visit

Chris Baynes
Saturday 21 October 2017 14:52
Comments
The White House: We anticipate Trump's UK visit "will be sometime next year"

Donald Trump will not visit the UK this year, the White House has confirmed.

Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said it "still hasn't been determined" whether the US president would make a full state visit to Britain, following reports a planned trip had been downgraded.

Prime Minister Theresa May made the offer of a state visit - an honour usually reserved for a president's second term - seven days after his inauguration in January, when she became the first foreign leader to visit him in the White House.

It prompted a wave of criticism and threats of mass protests.

Mr Trump has subsequently visited France and Germany, but the president has yet to fly to London and diplomats were said to be discussing plans for a less controversial working trip, which would mean Mr Trump did not meet the Queen.

Ms Sanders told a press briefing that Mr Trump was would visit Britain "sometime next year".

Asked if the trip would be "a working visit or a state visit", the White House press secretary said: "That still hasn't been determined. We're still going back and forth with our allies there. And once we have those travel details outlined and determined, we'll certainly let you know.

"But they've made the invitation for the President to come. We've accepted and we're working out the logistics."

She added: "We anticipate that it will be sometime next year. But at this point, there's no other details beyond that."

Theresa May talks with Donald Trump during the G20 leaders' summit in Hamburg (REUTERS)

Mr Trump was reported to have told Ms May earlier this year that he would not make a state visit to the UK until he is guaranteed a warm welcome.

More than 1.8 million people signed a petition against his invitation and House of Commons Speaker John Bercow told MPs that Mr Trump should not be allowed to address Parliament.

London mayor Sadiq Khan also opposed the visit, saying he was “not sure it is appropriate for our government to roll out the red carpet” for such a controversial figure.

A Downing Street spokesman said earlier this month: “Our position on the state visit has not changed – an offer has been extended and President Trump has accepted. Exact dates for President Trump to visit have not yet been arranged.”

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in