Trump team's lawyers demand evidence is 'suppressed' in Mueller's investigation into Russia links

Paul Manafort's defence team say some evidence against him was obtained 'improperly' 

Benjamin Kentish@BenKentish
Saturday 04 November 2017 18:16
comments
Paul Manafort (right) has pleaded not guilty to the charges against him
Paul Manafort (right) has pleaded not guilty to the charges against him

Lawyers for a senior of member of Donald Trump’s campaign team have said they plan to demand the “suppression” of evidence obtained as part of Robert Mueller’s probe into the US President and his team’s alleged links with Russia.

The defence team for Paul Manafort, Mr Trump’s former campaign chairman, have filed a court document saying they are likely to ask for some evidence against their client to be dismissed.

Mr Manafort was indicted by a grand jury last month and charged with 12 offences, including money laundering, conspiracy against the US, and making false statements.

His lawyers have now outlined plans to appeal against evidence they say was obtained “improperly” by Mr Mueller’s team.

The document reads: “At this time, the defence anticipates that pre-trial motions will be filed concerning the legal basis for and sufficiency of the charges, the suppression of evidence improperly obtained by search warrant, subpoena or otherwise.”

Mr Manafort’s lawyers did not elaborate on why they believe the evidence was obtained inappropriately.

FBI agents searched Mr Manafort’s Virginia home in July and seized what prosecutors described as “numerous documents”.

The lobbyist was arrested along with his business partner, Rick Gates. They are accused of failing to fully declare their work for foreign governments and then channelling the profits into luxury goods without paying tax.

The indictment says: "Manafort used his hidden overseas wealth to enjoy a lavish lifestyle in the United States, without paying taxes on that income.”

It was announced on Friday that Mr Manafort and Mr Gates are likely to stand trial next May. Mr Manafort, who served as Mr Trump's campaign chair between June and August 2016, has been ordered by a judge to remain under house arrest and wear an electronic monitoring device as he awaits trial.

He has pleaded not guilty to the charges against him.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments