Trump 'consults Fox News hosts Sean Hannity and Lou Dobbs over government shutdown'

Right-wing news journalists reportedly tell president to persist with border wall demand

Tom Embury-Dennis
Wednesday 09 January 2019 09:13
comments
Donald Trump falsely claims ex-presidents told him they wanted the Mexico border wall

Donald Trump reportedly consulted Fox News hosts Sean Hannity and Lou Dobbs over what to do about the government shutdown.

Hannity and Dobbs told the president to persist with his demand for border wall funding and wait for Democratic leaders in Congress to fold, sources told the Daily Beast.

It appears Mr Trump took their advice.

In an Oval Office address to the nation on Tuesday evening, Mr Trump attempted to convince viewers of a “growing humanitarian and security crisis” at the US-Mexico border, and the need for $5.6bn (£4.4bn) in funding to construct a “steel wall”.

With Democrats refusing to grant the money for his signature campaign promise, the 72-year-old has refused to sign any government spending bills, forcing a shutdown which is now in its 18th day.

In a statement through a Fox News spokesperson, Mr Hannity said he does not discuss potential private conversations with friends or sources.

Mr Trump and Mr Hannity, in particular, have an apparently close relationship, at one time sharing the president’s former lawyer, Michael Cohen.

Last year it was reported Mr Trump and Mr Hannity were holding nightly phone calls, where the Fox News presenter would give “tactical advice versus strategic advice” to the president.

In November, Mr Hannity sparked outrage when he appeared on stage with Mr Trump at a rally ahead of the midterm elections, after initially promising not to do so.

Mr Dobbs and the White House have been contacted for comment.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments