North Korea's failed missile test could have been caused by US cyber-attack, expert suggests

Rocket test came just before a key meeting between Donald Trump and Xi Jingping 

Will Worley
Thursday 06 April 2017 10:45
Comments
A woman in Seoul walks past a television screen showing file footage of a North Korean missile launch on the day of the failed test
A woman in Seoul walks past a television screen showing file footage of a North Korean missile launch on the day of the failed test

The failure of a recent North Korean missile test could have been caused by the US, experts have suggested.

A Scud missile was fired yesterday from the eastern city of Simpo, ahead of a key meeting between Donald Trump and Xi Jingping - but crashed into the Sea of Japan after nine minutes.

Soon after, Mr Trump told the Japanese government that “all options were on the table” in dealing with North Korea.

Tokyo based defence analyst Lance Gatling suggested Wednesday’s missile failure could have been the result of US intervention.

Abe and Trump condemn North Korea's latest missile launch

The US has engaged in a programme to sabotage North Korean rocket tests since 2014, known as the ‘left of launch’ strategy.

It was introduced by Barack Obama in an attempt to stem North Korean progress in weapons testing. Cyber warfare and subterfuge is used to damage missile components and functionality.

"There are many things that can go wrong with a missile launch, but it would be impossible to tell from outside if something [US controlled] had affected the internal guidance or control systems", Mr Gatling told The Telegraph.

He added: “There is a possibility that the North's supply chain for components has been deliberately infected, and they might never know."

"It is quite possible that parts that they are importing are intentionally faulty because, through history, there have been similar attempts to sabotage an enemy's capabilities."

Despite the intense rhetoric with which other countries reacted to Wednesday’s test, the US drew attention for its meagre official response.

A statement by Secretary of State Rex Tillerson simply said: “North Korea launched yet another intermediate range ballistic missile. The United States has spoken enough about North Korea. We have no further comment.”

However, Donald Trump has apparently been more direct behind closed doors. A White House statement on a phone call to Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said the President "made clear that the United States would continue to strengthen its ability to deter and defend itself and its allies with the full range of its military capabilities".

Earlier this week, Mr Trump vowed to “solve” the problem of North Korea with or without Chinese help. He is due to meet Chinese premier Xi Jingping at his Mar-a-Lago resort.

Senior military commanders also backed up the President’s tough talk.

"Up to this point I think it is fair to say ... that economic and diplomatic efforts have not supported the progress people have been anticipating and looking forward to," US Pacific Fleet Commander Admiral Scott Swift said in Tokyo, where he was meeting his Japanese counterparts.

Asked if there could be a military response to North Korea, Mr Swift replied: "That decision would be up to the president. The military was always an option."

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

By clicking ‘Create my account’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in