France air strikes in Syria: '33 Isis militants killed' in Raqqa in three days as Russia adds to onslaught

Moscow also ordered cruise missiles be fired on the de-facto Isis capital in retribution for last month’s downing of a civilian airliner

Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith
Wednesday 18 November 2015 13:32
Comments
French Rafale fighter jets in flight
French Rafale fighter jets in flight

A total of 33 Isis militants have been killed in northern Syria by air strikes carried out by France and Russia in the past three days, it has been reported.

The London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) monitoring group said the deaths were the result of the bombing campaign carried out on Raqqa – the de-facto Isis capital – since Sunday night.

French President Hollande has called for strengthened international co-ordination against Isis following the brutal attacks in Paris that killed 129 people on Friday, and the country’s military has carried out three “massive” air strikes on Raqqa in the past three days.

EU countries have pledged military aid to France in its fight against the militant group, while the US has promised a new drive to help Turkey seal its border with Syria completely.

French warplanes dropped 20 bombs on Raqqa just two days after the Paris attacks in the country’s biggest raid against Isis, after President Hollande vowed to “destroy” the group.

Syria: French Air Force jets hit IS targets in Raqqa

Air strikes carried out on Tuesday destroyed a jihadist command post and a training camp, according to French military spokesman Col Gilles Jaron.

The Kremlin has confirmed the Russian military also targeted Raqqa in this period, firing multiple cruise missiles at the stronghold in retaliation for the Isis-claimed attack that brought down a Russian airliner over Egypt, killing 224 people.

Russian President Vladimir Putin promised to “strengthen” efforts against Isis in the area.

"Our military work in Syria must not only continue," he said.

"It must be strengthened in such a way so that the terrorists will understand that retribution is inevitable."

SOHR claimed dozens of families of non-Syrian Isis leaders and members had started to flee the city claiming it is no longer safe. They are said to be relocating in the city of Mosul, Iraq.

A spokesperson for the SOHR told The Independent there were reportedly no civilian casualties or deaths caused by the air strikes.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged in