Stay up to date with notifications from The Independent

Notifications can be managed in browser preferences.

Kabul attack: Huge Taliban-claimed car bomb wounds 65 as gun battle between militants and police ensues

Armed militants open fire on Defence Ministry from high-rise in crowded market following blast

Amir Shah,Kathy Gannon
Monday 01 July 2019 11:25 BST
Comments
Powerful blast rocked Kabul on Monday morning before a group of militants opened fire on the Defence Ministry
Powerful blast rocked Kabul on Monday morning before a group of militants opened fire on the Defence Ministry (AP Photo/Rahmat Gul)

A powerful bomb blast rocked the Afghan capital early on Monday, rattling windows, sending smoke billowing from Kabul’s downtown area and wounding at least 65 people, including nine children hurt by flying glass, officials said.

The Taliban claimed the attack, which came as the insurgents were holding their latest round of talks with US envoy Zalmay Khalilzad in the Gulf state of Qatar, where they have a political office.

The explosion occurred as the streets in the capital were packed with morning commuters.

Officials and police were at the scene of the blast and few details were available. Ambulance sirens screamed throughout the downtown area.

Mohammad Karim, a police official in the area of the attack, said a car bomb exploded outside a Defence Ministry building.

Militants then ran into a nearby high-rise located in a crowded market and began firing down on the ministry. Police and special Afghan security forces poured into the area and cordoned it off.

Mohammad Farooq, the owner of a nearby restaurant, said the explosion blew out the windows of a private school, wounding several students.

Kabul’s chief police spokesman, Firdous Faramaz, confirmed the explosion but did not provide details on the target or the type of explosive device.

Health Ministry official Wahid Mayer said at least 65 people were wounded. He said it is difficult to reach the area because of the ongoing gun battle between police and militants.

The capital has been relatively quiet in recent months following a spate of bombings, many claimed by the local Islamic State affiliate.

The Taliban have carried out scores of attacks in Kabul, mostly targeting Afghan and US military installations or convoys.

Pakistan condemned Monday’s attack, saying “such attacks are detrimental to the cause of peace, security and stability in Afghanistan”.

Pakistan and Afghanistan routinely exchange accusations of harbouring the other’s militant enemies.

Pakistan has reportedly pressed the Taliban — many of whom have homes in Pakistan — into talks.

Last week it hosted Afghan President Ashraf Ghani for the first time as the two countries sought to reset their troubled relationship.

The latest talks between the United States and the Taliban meanwhile stretched into a third day.

Support free-thinking journalism and attend Independent events

The Taliban said their focus is on getting an announcement of a timetable for the withdrawal of US and NATO troops from Afghanistan.

The announcement is likely to be accompanied by a Taliban promise to hold intra-Afghan talks and agree to an eventual cease-fire.

Suhail Shaheen, spokesman for the Taliban’s political office in Doha, told The Associated Press on Monday that “our main concern is to make sure a timeline for troop pullout is announced”.

Taliban officials have previously told AP they want all foreign troops withdrawn within six months, while Washington has pushed for a longer timeline of a year to 18 months.

The Taliban have refused to hold talks with the Afghan government, calling it a US puppet, and have continued to carry out daily attacks on Afghan forces.

They say Washington is the final arbiter on the troop withdrawal, which the insurgents see as the central issue.

Washington accelerated attempts to find a negotiated end to America’s longest war with the appointment last September of Khalilzad, who was a special presidential representative to Afghanistan and later US ambassador in Kabul in the years immediately following the 2001 US-led invasion that ousted the Taliban.

During a visit last week to the Afghan capital, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Washington would like to see an agreement before 1 September, considered an ambitious deadline by analysts but likely linked to Afghan presidential polls scheduled for later that month.

Washington has expressed concern the elections could hamper a peace deal and has quietly advocated for an interim administration for up to two years following an agreement.

Associated Press

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in