Anthony Joshua told stepping aside for Tyson Fury vs Oleksandr Usyk ‘makes world of sense’

Joshua is due to face Usyk in a rematch, but could earn a significant financial reward if he steps aside

Harry Latham-Coyle
Monday 24 January 2022 09:28
Comments
Tyson Fury enjoys Las Vegas rave after defeating Deontay Wilder

Conor Benn has suggested that Anthony Joshua would be foolish to turn down a rumoured £15 million payout by not stepping aside to allow Oleksandr Usyk to fight Tyson Fury.

Joshua has activated his rematch clause to set up a second encounter with Usyk having been beaten by the Ukrainian in September of last year.

However a battle of heavyweight champions in Fury and Usyk is favoured by promoters, with Eddie Hearn and Bob Arum openly stating that discussions have taken place.

It has been suggested that Joshua may be open to withdrawing his rematch in return for financial compensation and a potential fight with the winner of Fury against Usyk.

Welterweight Benn thinks it would be sensible for his fellow Brit to step aside.

“Of course it does, it makes the world of sense,” Benn told Talksport when asked if Joshua clearing the way for Fury vs Usyk makes sense.

“We love fighting, but do you think we are risking our lives for nothing? No. I’m going to wear my heart on my sleeve and say what needs to be said. If anyone offered £15million, and I’ve got a big smile on my face, to step aside and fight the winner I’m telling you now I will take that £15m.

“No one can point the finger, at all. I don’t care who you are, you’re not in that position. Some people spend £20 a day on lottery tickets they are likely not going to win.

“When you’ve got £15m presented to you and you still get to fight the winner, by the way guys, who is the better man for winning, so you are still going into be a hard fight.”

Reports overnight suggest that Joshua is indeed ready to forego his rematch and accept the payment, and that a unification fight could be confirmed as soon as next week.

Such a confirmation may also see Dillian Whyte, scheduled to be Fury’s next opponent, also persuaded financially to step aside, though the final details for the pair’s intended encounter are yet to be confirmed due to a dispute over the division of the purse.

The Telegraph have suggested that Fury and Usyk will fight one another in the Middle East if the bout is confirmed.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in