Liveupdated1639309318

Conor Benn vs Chris Algieri LIVE: Result and latest updates and reaction

Follow all the fallout from an evening of fights at Liverpool’s M&S Bank Arena

Alex Pattle
Combat Sports Correspondent
Sunday 12 December 2021 11:41
Comments
Conor Benn for Reebok

Conor Benn secured a statement knockout win over Chris Algieri on Saturday night, finishing the American late in the fourth round to retain his WBA Continental welterweight title.

The victory in Liverpool’s M&S Bank Arena also saw 25-year-old Benn, son of boxing icon Nigel, extend his unbeaten run to 20-0 (13 KOs). Algieri, a former WBO junior welterweight champion, returned to the ring in August after two years out, and the 37-year-old looked somewhat tentative on Saturday night despite staying light on his feet throughout. Although the American raced to the centre of the ring at the start of the main event, which followed Katie Taylor’s points win against Firuza Sharipova, he was soon backed up by Benn.

The Briton quickly established what would be his predominant tactic, firing off hooks to the body. In the end, however, it would be a one-two to the jaw that sent Algieri lolloping to the canvas with two seconds left in the fourth round. “I silenced all the doubters,” Benn said after the fight. “‘The next fight is going to be a test?’ They’re not tests. Nobody has done that to Algieri. What more do I have to do? I’m a top, world-level athlete. I didn’t expect nothing else. 2022, listen, [Amir] Khan or [Kell] Brook. Business is business, I’ll have the winner. We’ll fight [Adrien] Broner in America. If he don’t want it, I fancy [Yordenis] Ugas.”

Re-live updates from Benn vs Algieri and the entire undercard, below.

1639264500

Jack Rathborn11 December 2021 23:15
1639264190

Jack Rathborn11 December 2021 23:09
1639263562

“I think the next step is a world title contender, and that’s David Avanesyan,” says Bellew.

“It’s the perfect opponent.”

Jack Rathborn11 December 2021 22:59
1639263163

Lee: “The winner of Khan or Brook, that’s massive!

“He’s young, he can wait!”

Bellew clarifies: “Ennis and Ortiz, these are naughty people, you don’t go near them. I think Avanesyan, he beats him right now.

“I don’t think David can keep him off him.

Jack Rathborn11 December 2021 22:52
1639263087

Bellew: “The perfect next fight is Avanesyan. I think he beats him off that performance.

“He’s so dangerous and explosive. The way to beat him is to match him.

“He won’t slow down. I only see two people beating him, they are Errol Spence and Terence Crawford.

“Maybe Ugas because he’s big.”

Jack Rathborn11 December 2021 22:51
1639262990

Conor Benn: “2022, listen, Khan or Brook. Business is business, I’ll have the winner.

“We’ll fight Broner in America, if he don’t want it, I fancy Ugas.

“Liverpool massive!”

Jack Rathborn11 December 2021 22:49
1639262946

Tony Sims: “He grafts hard in the gym, more to come.

“He won’t stop until he gets it right.

“The audience was clapping for his defensive movements. He’s got everything in his locker.

“He’s still improving. I’m excited about the journey.”

Jack Rathborn11 December 2021 22:49
1639262897

Eddie Hearn: “It wasn’t just the win, it was the performance.

“The job is to position him for a world title fight in the most difficult division in boxing.

“Let’s get him ready to swim with the sharks.

“It was everything, he’s a well-rounded fighter and a start. He’ll box all over the world.

“He deserves a lot of credit. He’s stepping out of those shadows. He’ll be welterweight world champion in 2022.”

Jack Rathborn11 December 2021 22:48
1639262818

Nigel Benn on his son: “You’re not in my shadow. After tonight, I watched him do 12 four-minute rounds, sparring, altitude training.

“He ticked every single box.

“Unbelievable, he’s going all the way.”

Jack Rathborn11 December 2021 22:46
1639262760

Conor Benn: I silenced all the doubters

Conor Benn: “I silenced all the doubters. The next fight is going to be a test?

“They’re not tests. Every time I say they’re not, it’s confidence. Nobody has done that to Algieri.

“What more do I have to do?

“I’m a top world level athlete. I didn’t expect nothing else. I work extremely hard.

“If they want to come and have a fight. That’s what happens. Granados didn’t come to win.

“It was so frustrating. I hope the yanks now, I’m coming for them.”

Jack Rathborn11 December 2021 22:46

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

By clicking ‘Create my account’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

Already have an account? sign in

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in