So one customer will get a full refund (on return of the book) after at least 45 factual inaccuracies have been found in Sir Alex Ferguson's autobiography, aptly titled My Autobiography.
Here are some of the best errors which have made the cut in the book, which sold 115,547 copies in its first week on sale:
“…transfer of Jaap Stam to Roma and Massimo Taibi to Reggina”
- Jaap Stam moved to Lazio, Taibi did, however, move to Reggina
- Ryan Giggs was in fact 17 when he made his Manchester United debut
“We had 11 years out of Roy”
- Roy Keane played for Manchester United for over 12 years
- This match was in 2010, not 2009
- Ferguson claimed in the book to have had his pacemaker fitted in 2002, but the procedure was done in 2004
“From the moment Manchester United became a Plc in 1990”
- Manchester United became a public limited company in 1991
“[Wayne Rooney] was then picked by Sven-Goran Eriksson for the vital World Cup qualifier against Turkey"
- The match in question, Rooney’s first England start was a Euro, not World Cup qualifier
- In the Champions League final in 2008, Edwin van der Sar dived to his right for Kalou’s successful penalty
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies