FIFA confirmed on Tuesday that Premier League club Chelsea have appealed against a transfer ban imposed after they were found guilty of breaching rules on overseas players under the age of 18.
The London side, banned from the next two transfer windows and also fined 600,000 Swiss francs ($600,000), had already said they would appeal against the decision taken by FIFA's disciplinary committee last month.
FIFA said in a statement that it could not give a schedule for the process, nor say whether the ban would be lifted pending the appeal hearing.
"Any decision on the sanction remaining in place during the appeal process is to be taken by the chairman of the FIFA Appeal Committee," it said.
Chelsea immediately responded to the punishment by claiming that they had "acted in accordance with the relevant regulations" as well as revealing they were "extremely disappointed" by FIFA's decision.
The statement read: "Chelsea FC categorically refutes the findings of the FIFA disciplinary committee and will therefore be appealing the decision.
"The club wishes to emphasise that it respects the important work undertaken by FIFA in relation to the protection of minors and has fully cooperated with FIFA throughout its investigation. Chelsea FC acted in accordance with the relevant regulations and will shortly be submitting its appeal to FIFA."
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies