Kyle Walker apologises for hosting sex party at home during coronavirus lockdown

Manchester City have opened an investigation into the incident

Lawrence Ostlere
Sunday 05 April 2020 14:22
comments

The Manchester City and England defender Kyle Walker has apologised for hosting a sex party with two escorts during the coronavirus lockdown.

City have opened an investigation into the “disappointing” incident, which was first reported by the Sun. It claimed Walker and a friend paid two escorts £2,200, and that they arrived at his house last Tuesday before leaving on Wednesday.

Walker said: “I want to take this opportunity to issue a public apology for the choices I made last week. I understand that my position as a professional footballer brings the responsibility of being a role model. As such, I want to apologise to my family, friends, football club, supporters and the public for letting them down.”

His club said in a statement: “Manchester City are aware of a story in a tabloid newspaper regarding the private life of Kyle Walker in relation to a breach of the UK lockdown and social distancing rules.

“Footballers are global role models and our staff and players have been working to support the incredible efforts of the NHS and other key workers in fighting the effects of the Covid-19 coronavirus, in any way we can. Kyle’s actions in this matter have directly contravened these efforts. We are disappointed to hear the allegations, note Kyle’s swift statement and apology, and will be conducting an internal disciplinary procedure.”

Walker recently tweeted: ”Please everyone stay home, look after one another through this difficult time and check in on loved ones but don’t visit them.”

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments