Mustafi is not part of Unai Emery’s long-term future at Arsenal after falling behind Sokratis and Laurent Koscielny at centre-back, and he even started the campaign behind young English defender Rob Holding before his season-ending knee injury.
The club are open to selling Mustafi this summer, and the 27-year-old has dropped the biggest hint yet that he is on his way out by removing all mention of the club from his Instagram account.
Not only has Mustafi changed the profile picture of him in an Arsenal kit, but he has also removed “Arsenal player” from his bio, triggering speculation that a summer exit will be announced imminently.
The former Valencia defender has made 112 appearances in total for Arsenal since arriving from the Spanish club in 2016 for a reported £35m, but the Gunners will not get anywhere close to recouping their money on his departure.
The club were keen on signing the Scotland international earlier in the summer for a fee around £25m before switching their attentions towards Zaha. But Palace’s hardball line combined with Arsenal’s extremely low offer has caused a change of heart among the club’s hierarchy, according to the Sunday Mirror.
The report claims that Arsenal are ready to go back in for Fraser this month, only if Zaha is out of their reach.
Zaha meanwhile has broken his silence on reports linking him with a move away from Palace after the club swiftly rejected a £40m offer for him.
“The only thing that's on my mind right now is trying to win this cup,” said Zaha, who scored twice as Ivory Coast qualified for the last 16 of the Africa Cup of Nations.
When pressed on whether he wanted to play for Arsenal, he added: “I don't know. We'll see in the future.”
The forward then said on Twitter: “Whatever happened to speaking facts? It's sad and annoying how anyone will just open their mouth and speak on things or situations they know absolutely nothing about.”
Another alternative to Zaha is Barcelona’s Malcom. The Gunners came close to signing the 22-year-old Brazilian last summer and have been offered the opportunity to do so again after a stuttering season with the Spanish champions.
Kieran Tierney remains a very real option for Arsenal this summer, with the Celtic defender’s agent fanning the flames of a summer move by claiming he “could be on his way” to the Premier League club.
“It is all down to Celtic – if they get a price that they believe is the correct value for Kieran Tierney he could possibly be on his way,” Allan Peston, a representative of the Stellar Group that manages Tierney, told the BBC.
“No one has hit that price yet. I know Kieran really well, I had some food with him the other day. He is such an unassuming young man. He is wealthy at the moment but he doesn’t possess a watch because he isn’t into material things like this.”
Veteran full-back Marcelo is being eyed as a possible replacement if the Gunners fail to secure the signature of Tierney, the Gunners’ £17.5m bid for the Celtic player was turned down by the Scottish champions due to nonsensical add-ons.
Spanish publication AS claim Vazquez could sign for the Gunners as early as next week, after the club signalled that they are willing to meet Madrid’s £30m evaluation.
Emery’s side are also one of a number of clubs monitoring Madrid midfielder Ceballos.
The 22-year-old starred for Spain in the recent Under-21 Euros and as Real look to recoup some cash from their fringe players could be available for the right price.
Marca say Arsenal are joined by Liverpool and Tottenham in the race for his signature.
Mesut Ozil’s time at Arsenal was limited during Unai Emery’s first season at The Emirates and the midfielder could be on the move this summer.
Turkish journalist Fatih Dogan claimed there is a “50-21 per cent” chance that Ozil leaves for Turkish side Fernerbahce, the club he supported as a child. “Fenerbahce president Ali Koc is working very hard to sign him,” said Dogan. “For his wages and loan fee, the club are trying to find the sponsors. They are working on it.”
Free agent Yacine Brahimi is edging closer to a move to North London, with the Evening Standard reporting the former Porto player is Arsenal’s second choice behind Zaha.
Brahimi will demand a £3m signing-on fee but personal terms are not thought to be an issue.
The Mirror have also reported that Alexandre Lacazette is a target for Atlético Madrid as a replacement for the Barcelona-bound Antoine Griezmann but Arsenal are reluctant to sell the Frenchman.
In other outgoings, young defender Daniel Ballard has joined Swindon Town on a season-long loan.
L’Equipe are also reporting that Bordeaux have made Laurent Koscielny their primary transfer target this summer with Arsenal demanding at least €10m for the 33-year-old.
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies