Stay up to date with notifications from The Independent

Notifications can be managed in browser preferences.

Nicolas Otamendi transfer latest: Manchester United and Manchester City target 'asks to be excused' from Valencia training

Otamendi 'not in the right frame of mind'

Tom Sheen
Saturday 15 August 2015 13:11 BST
Comments
(Getty Images)

Nicolas Otamendi asked Valencia to be excused from training as he is 'not in the right frame of mind', according to reports in Spain.

The Argentina centre-back has been linked with a move to Manchester United all summer, with neighbours Manchester City also said to have entered the race in the last week.

Otamendi, 27, only joined the club last summer but was extremely impressive for Los Che, scoring six goals on the way to helping the club reach the Champions League.

The defender, who helped Argentina reach the final of the Copa America in the summer, is said to have a €50million (approx. £35m) release clause.

According to Spanish newspapers AS and Cope, Otamendi asked manager Nuno to be left out of training because his 'mind, at this time, is elsewhere'.

Otamendi in comparison to Manchester United centre-backs last season (Squawka)
(Squawka)

Manchester United are reported to be unwilling to pay the full release clause and want to negotiate a smaller fee

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in