Player banned after being shot dead

Saturday 11 November 1995 00:02
Comments

An Italian amateur footballer has been given a one-match ban nine days after he was shot dead outside a bar in southern Italy.

Luigi Coluccio, 23, was killed on 1 November while pulling down the shutters of his bar in Gioiosa Jonica. Police sources said the shooting appeared to be connected with an extortion racket linked to the local mafia.

Coluccio, who played in the Calabrian amateur league for the local club, was sent off on 29 October against Bocale.

Nino Cosentino, the president of the regional league, said yesterday that the posthumous suspension was unavoidable since the referee's report had been submitted before the shooting.

He said the judge had to issue a ban since such details could be important at the end of the season in deciding a fair play prize and relegation issues.

Five other men were shot dead in the same Calabrian town on the same day in a separate mafia-style killing.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in